BIAB Setup/upgrade

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TopFlatBrwr

Reaction score
I'm looking to make the jump from my partial mash biab setup to a full mash biab setup. I'm thinking about getting a Blichmann 15g Boilermaker. I want something that is a quality build and gives me scalability for the future. I figured the 15g kettle would be better for that than the 10g as cost isn't really a limiting factor for me. The only issue is I don't have a garage and doing an outdoor setup in London where it's constantly raining is a pain. So an outdoor propane burner isn't an option right now.

I have quite a large 5 burner range with a hood in our kitchen which I currently use to boil about 4 gallons at a time with no issues. I usually have to turn the center burner to a lower setting anyways. The center burner is a double burner with the flame reaching a 9 inch diameter. The overall grate is 16.5" x 24" (hood is 31" above range) so the 15g kettle can sit comfortably on the range. I'm basically wondering if this burner will be powerful enough for the kettle.

ForumRunner_20130719_230536.jpg

I'm also going to have another 5g pot for a 10 minute sparge on the counter next to the burner. I plan to rig something up to easily move the bag from one pot to another (similar to what I currently do) so that shouldn't be an issue for me. Thanks!

Thanks for the suggestions, but I'm not really looking for an automated solution right now. The Braumeister does look legit though and I've read some decent reviews.

I would guess that burner would work.
Getting a 20 or 25 gallon pot to cover more of the burners and be ready for when u go to 10 gallon batches would be a good idea also.

thanks Kevin

Thanks Kevin, I think the 20g might be overkill at this point. I'm planning to do a batch sparge with any 10 gallon batches in a 15g kettle similar to william_shakes_beer:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f244/batch-sparing-biab-390179/index2.html#post4906096

From what I the center burner only produces 14,250 btu/h. I've read that it will take forever to heat up the kettle to boil, but since I'll already have the mash heated I figured it wouldn't take that long. Not sure what other people's experience has been.

I was also looking at doing the conversion to an electric kettle: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/heating-elements

Well....I use a keg...and now have. 5500w element in it.
If I had to do it over again I would have started w a 25 gallon pot.

Even w a 6.75 gallon batch...9 gallons of water and grain....not much room in the keg.....11 gallon batch....pushing the limits.

Go big once is all I am trying to say.

Thanks Kevin

I use a gas stove with one "super burner" on it for BIAB full-boil. I think the burner does around 19k BTU, but it's relatively quick, and I've done at least 20 5g batches on it. Wouldn't want to try a 10g, though.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Kevin, how do you like the electric element vs propane? I agree about going big, just thought 15g would be enough for a 10g biab with a sparge on the side. Maybe I'm wrong, anyone else have thoughts on that?

Has anyone outside of Kal from the electric brewery cut up their new Boilermaker? I'm leaning this way at the moment.

Kevin, how do you like the electric element vs propane? I agree about going big, just thought 15g would be enough for a 10g biab with a sparge on the side. Maybe I'm wrong, anyone else have thoughts on that?

Has anyone outside of Kal from the electric brewery cut up their new Boilermaker? I'm leaning this way at the moment.

No comparison with electric vs propane - electric is better in all ways.

thanks Kevin

I would def get the 20 gallon. I had been using a 15 gallon keg and it was constantly over flowing when I added the grains or I would run a little short on final volumes when doing 10 gallon batches. I just received the 20 gallon boilmaker, haven't used it yet, but I'm sure it's going to be way better

Do you think the 20g will be too large for 5g batches? I only see myself doing 10g every so often for some of my bigger beers that I want to age. Of course I say that now......

I have a 26 gal (100 L) megapot with a 5k element. While it is possible to do a 5 gal batch, I havent tried it yet, and to be honest, probably never will. Making 10 gal is nice because I can try out two yeasts, or two different temps. I am actually thinking about trying a 15 gal batch in it...

I think to do 5 gal batches I would add some sort of insert to increase the water level, like a clean kanteen full of sand or something. It would only be needed during the boil to prevent the element from accidentally coming above the water line.

If you are looking at megapots, both the 80L and 100L pot are the same inner diameter (50 cm), but the 80L is only is only 40cm inner height tall, while the 100L pot is inner height 50cm tall. In my pot, there needs to be a minimum of 20L to cover the element.

I chose the megapot, because I chose to use a 18' long element to minimize the watts per sq in. My element wouldnt have fit in a blichmann kettle.

Pics can be seen here:
http://www.londonbrewers.ca/blog

Thanks for the link! That's a good call on splitting the wort into two batches and trying different yeasts. I was actually doing that on a smaller scale with my 5 gallon batches and using 5 different yeasts in 1 gallon carboys.

I'm thinking I could have one 5 gallon and five 1 gallon batches. Sorry, rambling off topic.

A 20 gallon pot for a 5 gallon batch could be done, but I don't think with theblichman the thermometer would be covered with water and be able to be used. I have a 9 gallon pot I normally use for 5 gallon batches, but it can sometimes be a little tight. Splitting batches is a good idea, but the recipes that I like I normally make 10 gallons at a time, because its a huge time saver. It does not take much longer to make 10 gallons, just a little longer to get your water temps right because of the higher volume. I will warn you though. If you make 10 gallons pulling that bag out can be heavy, so be prepared with a pulley or whatever your method is.

Do you think the 20g will be too large for 5g batches? I only see myself doing 10g every so often for some of my bigger beers that I want to age. Of course I say that now......

Yes.

When I moved from stove top to getting a pot and burner I got a 15 gallon BoilerMaker. Its fine for 5 gallon batches - in fact its too big in that the Thermometer is mounted too high. I'd rather it be located at the 5 gallon line, not the 6.5.

As for 10 gallon batches - for BIAB - to get good efficiency, I don't mash in all the water, I hold back a couple of gallons or so for each 10-12 pounds to do a 5 minute dunk sparge.
To make a 10 gallon brew I would hold back several gallons, so overflow is not a problem for me. I think if you mash 25 # using BIAB in a 0 gallon pot your efficiency may drop.

For the 10 gallon boil I use FERMCAP.

I drilled a lower hole in my 15g Boilermaker so the thermometer stays covered for 5g batches. If you're not doing real high gravity batches, you can do 10g batches in the 15g Boilermaker. If you want to do a 10g batch of high gravity, mash with less than total water volume and top off before boil.

Back