BIAB partial boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbtmm

Reaction score
Is it possible to do a BIAB in a five gallon kettle for a five gallon batch? I'm assuming I'd only be boiling 3.5 gallons and then topping off with water to 5 gallons.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Yes very possible!
You will lose a little efficiency topping up, but for a bit of grain, not a big deal! The higher gravity the batch, the more challenging it will be. Consider a sparge in another pot or bucket as well to help efficiency.
You can also collect additional wort to top up your kettle after the boil begins so you can start w/ 4 and add wort slowly once you have a controlled boil after a few minutes.

With a little practice you can boil 4 1/2 in a five gallon pot, could also try fermcap, gas drops (simethicone) to avoid boilovers.

Nothing set in stone either about making 5 gallons...you could easily do 3 or 4 gallon batches as well.

I'm really interested in doing BM's centennial blonde recipe. Since I only have a five gallon kettle and the recipe calls for a little over 8 lbs of grain would it be best to just cut the base grain down (2 row) and goose it with some dme to get my target gravity?

I would brew it as is, maybe even add an extra pound ot two of two row to account for lower anticipated Efficiency. Grain is cheap. Mash to collect 4.5 gallons.

Cool a sample preboil and determine final batch size depending on how well you do and get say 4-5 gallons to the fermenter.

That is a fairly forgiving recipe, and will be tasty unless you are waaaay off.

RDWHAHB
Cheers!

Is it possible to mash that much grain in a 5 gallon kettle? How much water should I start with?

I was using a very similar method to what you had planned in my 5 gallon pot with gret success. Basically a BIAB mash with enough grain to hit an appropriate starting boil gravity for 4 gallons to get goo hop utilization. Something around 1.04. Then boil to a finishing volume of around 3.5 gallons and add late extract to hit you desired SG after top off water is added.

Some nice software like beersmith will help immensely.

My concern with an all grain BIAB designed to hit your SG would be the lower hop utilization. Similar to the issues with an extract batch. Once again, nothing you can't figure out with software.

Back