biab noob 5 gallon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peppexx

Reaction score
hey guys i'm new to the brewing i did my first batch 1 week ago now still in fermentation 5 gallon of belgian pilssen with biab metod
i found out some problem along they wey and i think i made some mystake so i'm getting rady for a new batch soon and wuld like to be clarified about some point i'm not sure about .
so i infuse the malt for 1 hour at 155 f than i removed it and let it boil for another hour adding the hops after i let it cool down and i was left with a lot less than 5 gallon
at this point i have to ad onugh water to get to back the 5 gallon mark ???? or not anywey i did it
also the booble in my airlock stopped just after 2 days for how long is it supposed to going .
today i took a sample out of it for try to understand what is going on tasting it the flaver is not bad but i found it a little light is this something that is going to fix with fermentation ?
oh almost forget it when i put in my fermenter i have to filter it or not becouse i saw ther was a lot of resuidue on it ???

1. Did you sparge your grain bed aka rinse with 170degree water until you reached 7gallons pre boil run off?

2. If your flavor is light bodied that means you didn't get enough starch to fermentable sugar conversion.

so i infuse the malt for 1 hour at 155 f
If by this you mean you “mashed” (soaked) the malted grain that is ok and that temperature is a tad high, but still acceptable. Were the grains crushed?

than i removed it and let it boil for another hour
Were the grains contained in a fine mesh bag or basket? You don’t want to remove them completely right away. Try to hang them above your kettle and let them drain/drip until there isn’t much liquid left. You can speed up the process by squeezing the liquid out.

adding the hops after i let it cool down and i was left with a lot less than 5 gallon
Depending on the recipe and style of beer, hops are added to the boiling wort at different intervals depending on what their purpose is, ie. early additions provide bitterness and later additions provide flavor and aroma. Did you add any hops during the actual boil?
How big is your kettle? If it’s large enough for a full volume mash and boil, you didn’t start with enough water if you were short. For a 5 gallon batch with an average size grain bill and hop additions, you’d probably need to start with 7+ gallons of water. That amount also depends on what your boil-off rate is.
A little more information and some clarification and we might be able to give more specific advice.

for the hops i fallow a recipe so i put the first kind when it started to boil and the 2nd kind when i missed just 10 minuts at end of the boiling
for the mash the grain was already crushed from the shop i put them all in a bag but found out only now it was a hops bag for this i think i had a lot of residue in my beer
i started with 4 gallon in one pot soaking the grains and when they wher ready i reans the bag with the other gallon at 150F and i squiz also the bag idk if right or not
i think there i made the mistake i started with too little water and then adding it after it boiled becouse i was left with maybe 3 gallon or less of final product and was very sweet and strong in flavor i tought from this ther is no chance it will come out at a beer maybe i put also too much water i got in panic at this point
ther is any chance to fix it now ?

if i take some exctract of malt worm it with like half gallon of beer to dissolve it cool it down and then add it in the beer
i will ****ed up it even more or i will give some extra body?

Last edited:
If it finished fermenting, just leave it be. Don't add extract now. Lesson learned for your next batch.

i'm new to brewing but if i ad the extract it will not active again the fermentation couse of the sugar contained on it ?

I'm no expert by any means but by now, I figure much of the yeast has settled. Your beer may be fine, weaker than you anticipated but fine. I'd move on and concentrate on your next brew.

i just took half liter of it and put a spoon of extact malt close in abottle give a good shake and i will check tomorrow what s going on just curious about it
for experimentation

Last edited:
litlle update i just put the extract of malt in my brew and after 15 minuts or so it started again the booble activity in the airlock

5 gal. Batch all grain you should have a 10 gal kettle. You will need to also figure in your boil off rate and make adjustments accordingly. Ie.. if you boil off .5 gal an hour, you will need to add .5 gal in the begging of the mash. Then you need look at how much is left in the kettle when you transfer ( grub loss). If you leave 1 gallon, then you will need to add that. So with the numbers I gave you, you will need to start with 6.5 gal. There is also grain absorption, I don’t know the formula for off hand, Then you will need to add that number to the amount of water needed.
I use beers Smith to give me my water levels. And it does take several batches to dial it in.

Back