Biab in a keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joon75

Reaction score
Been homebrewing for about six months and want to make the jump to brewing in a bag. Is it possible to do 5-10 gallon batches with a bag? I have a keg that I'm going to convert to a boil kettle. Is a keg to big for 5 gallon batches? Thanks!

It is absolutely possible! I brew exclusively BIAB and all of my batches are 5gal. My kettle is 15gal. (about the same volume as a keg) and the size is great. Boil-over is almost never a problem.

I have done a couple of 10 gal. batches with my set-up. In that instance, I have to do a sparge as the kettle will not hold the grain plus the full volume of water. It worked just fine, although it did make for a rather long brew day!

Works great just make your bag taper at the bottom since the opening on the keg is a little smaller. That makes it easier to pull the bag with out wort spilling down the sides.

It is absolutely possible! I brew exclusively BIAB and all of my batches are 5gal. My kettle is 15gal. (about the same volume as a keg) and the size is great. Boil-over is almost never a problem.

I have done a couple of 10 gal. batches with my set-up. In that instance, I have to do a sparge as the kettle will not hold the grain plus the full volume of water. It worked just fine, although it did make for a rather long brew day!

For sure! I only BIAB now in smaller (1-2 gallon ) batches for test runs OR 5+ gallon batches. Just sold my keggle I had since I started brewing with years ago that I always used for 5-10 gallon batches and bought a 15 gallon pot. I'm getting older and the keg seemed a bit heavy at times. Cheers!

I use BIAB for 5-8 gallon size brews in my keggle. I have a 5 gallon white food grade plastic bucket that has a dozen holes drilled in the bottom. I use this and an old oven grate/shelf/rack to hold the bucket as the grain sack is placed in the bucket to drain. You can also use a second white food grade bucket to set the grate on and then place the drilled bucket on the grate to hold the bag. I will sometimes use this set up for sparging. The white food grade 5 gallon buckets can easily be bought at Walmart for $3 or you can try geting some pastry icing buckets from ypur local backery for free to $1.

Yes, a keggle will work!

I would advise cutting the largest hole possible in the top of the keg to make bag removal and stirring easier!

Or cut the entire top off the keg and add some handles to the side would be my choice...fwiw.

I use a keg and a bag from the previous poster, wilserbrewer. Works great for 5 gallon batches....my keg holds temps constant for a 60 minute mash. The large mass helps out there where it is a negative to lug it around.

I have not done a 10 gallon batch yet, but I am sure I would have the room for a small to medium sized beer.

Measurements of a 1/2 bbl US Sanke keg 15.5 gallons;
Diameter: 16"
Diameter (cut opening): 12"
Circumference: 49"
Height: 20"

Casing and draw string.....

Material: Voile curtain sheer
Raw Dimensions: 27" wide (on the fold) x 36" height
Finished Usable Dimensions: 9" bottom; 26" wide; 32" height (angle); 34" height (total)

2nd Bag Design by Mad Scientist Brewhaus, on Flickr

my full sized bag fits in a strainer that I bought at the LHBS. I am glad I dont have to mess with more than one bag. The beauty of BIAB is simplicity.

For 5 gallons a single bag should be fine; however, if your not a weight lifter, a 10 gallon batch will be difficult to lift using a single bag. If you are going for easiness then two bags is much easier one.

Latest posts

Back