BIAB Equipment Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackers252

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a Blichmann Breweasy which is pretty much a turn key system. My buddy is looking to get into brewing now and I told him about BIAB. Unfortunately, I don't know much about the equipment. From an initial search, I found that this is a great sized pot for 5 gallon batches:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=as2&tag=hombrefin-20&linkId=N226QPI7SJDSNPJT

I recommended he get a Brew In A Bag bag:
http://www.brewinabag.com/collections/frontpage/products/the-brew-bag-for-kettles

Problem is, they are having trouble sizing a bag to his kettle.

Couple questions...
1. With that metal strainer insert, does he need a BIAB bag or can he get something from Lowes?
2. If the BIAB bag is recommended, does anyone know what bag he should go with? It seems that the kettle is a popular size for the BIAB community.

Thanks in advance...

I have a couple of his bags, they are great. I had both custom made as you will need to do. That kettle is 15 1/4 in diameter and 18 3/4 tall. I would think 17 or 18( to go over handles) by 24 would work ok.

I use the bag. I have a basket for the 25 gallon kettle but just use a false bottom to keep the bag off of my element.

I have that pot with the basket that I use with a Wilserbrewer bag. I have brewed both with and without the basket, and have concluded that without the basket is better if you are not doing a recirculating mash. This is due to the volume under the basket that doesn't really participate in the mash, and thus will decrease mash efficiency somewhat. If you are doing a recirculating mash, then the basket would be preferred, as the recirculation will cycle all of the wort thru the grain.

Brew on :mug:

I might have missed the window but I wanted to add in my experience.

I used the smaller version of that pot for a while, using or not using the bag comes down to how you handle your mash. If you're applying heat during the mash you will like that the basket keeps the bag off the kettle bottom. More free flowing wort will make for better heat distribution while you are recirculating or stirring.

If you are not going to heat while you mash, then the basket really doesn't add anything other than one more thing to rinse off when you're done for the day.

I personally went with TheBrewBag because I liked the web lifting handles. I don't believe that it is somehow inherently stronger, I just happened to use a hook to lift and the straps seemed neat. What I will say is that you should absolutely encourage him/her to spend the extra and not use a paint strainer. They are hell to clean and don't last like a well made voile bag.

Back