BIAB Efficiency - Is this possible?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fordzilla

Reaction score
My friends and I brewed a 5.5 gallon batch of BierMunchers Centennial Blonde Ale yesterday. We took gravity readings with my hydrometer and theirs. They read 1.056 and 1.057. According to Brewer's Friend, this is an efficiency of 98%. Is that even possible?

Here's a little info.
  • I use a corona mill with a VERY tight crush. It generates a lot of flour.
  • We mashed at 150-151 for 60 minutes. Stirred the mash and re-fired twice due to 1-2 degree temp drops.
  • Squeezed the crap out of the bag, then "dunk sparged" with 165 degree water, squeezed again
  • Our final volume was spot on

At this point I am wondering if my scale is broken and we had more grain than I thought. I know i measured the grain out properly.

Edit: It was Brewer's Friend not Brewtarget.

Are you talking about mash efficiency or brewhouse ?

Yes, it is possible for mash, kind of doubtful for total brewhouse unless, as stated your grain weight was off.

I guess I'm going to have to do some reading, as I didnt know there was a difference. I did a litttle searching but I'm still unclear on the difference. Tools like Beer Calculus and BrewTarget seem to only have one efficiency value.

I guess I'm going to have to do some reading, as I didnt know there was a difference. I did a litttle searching but I'm still unclear on the difference. Tools like Beer Calculus and BrewTarget seem to only have one efficiency value.

In Brewtarget 1.24 Eff into BK is the mash efficiency. And brewhouse Eff is the brewhouse efficiency which is the one that gets posted up here as recipe efficiency.

Yes I did account for temp. It was about 70 so I only had to add 0.001 to the readings.

I realized I had my brewing tools mixed up. I have downloaded but not used brewtarget yet, I got the 98% number from the Brewhouse Efficiency Calculator on Brewer's Friend.

Back