BIAB = cloudy wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattip

Reaction score
I am planning on doing my first all grain batch this weekend, only 10 liters, so I plan on using my large grain bag in the 15 liter kettle.

But it is one thing about the BIAB-method that I can not get my head around. Isn't the grain bed in normal sparging supposed to filter the wort, so it becomes clear? Will I get a cloudier wort with the BIAB-method compared to other methods?

/matti

I use BIAB exclusively for all grain brewing. While it certainly seems logical to me that the wort would be cloudy (no filter bed + usually a finer crush), in practice it comes out crystal clear. However...I do two things that probably help this along:
1) Use Irish Moss - cheap and easy
2) Before moving form the boil kettle to your fermenter, use a big spoon to create a whirlpool. This will force all the solid bits into the middle. Then let your wort sit for ~ 30 minutes for everythign to settle out. When you rack, rack from the edges and you should have a mound of trub left at the center of your brewpot.

Hope that helps!

chips is right, most of the crud can be left in the trub or the kettle. I find that the first day or so's pours of the final product leaves a bit of sediment in my glass. After that you're all set

Back