BIAB calculator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dhm8484

Reaction score
Anyone use the BIABBREWING.COM calculator if so how accurate is it? I understand all of them need a little tweaking here and there. Thanks

Haven't used that one, but it looks like it has all the basics, and would be very easy to use.

I use the Priceless calculator. I like that it gives more information, like the post boil (hot) volume/depth, I use that to see if I need to boil a little longer to hit my target volume.

Priceless actually gives more information than I need, but that's not a problem, I just pick the bits I need.

Yea I was on his website looking around also and it does give you a lot of information

I've used it and it was pretty accurate. I needed to lower the boil off rate and the trub loss, since the defaults were a bit high for my set-up.

Thanks for the plugs everyone. If anyone ever has any issues, suggestions, or comments, let me know! You can message me here, or at gmail through my website.

+1 for Priceless here. I'm always within a point or two on my numbers, and a degree or two on my mash temp.

Edit Oh and volumes too! Just as important.

Last edited:
I really like http://www.biabcalculator.com/. It's very clean and simple, the interface is straight forward. Only thing I wish it had was preboil gravity. This should be straight forward function involving target gravity and boil off right?

I like Priceless too and it's very close to what Beersmith shows me.

Thanks! Most of the small differences arise from the fact that beersmith and I don't agree on where volumetric thermal expansion should be displayed (wort and water expands when heated). Beersmith only applies it to boiling liquids. This may become an optional feature in my next release.

If you have any other discrepancies, you can reply here, pm me, or send me an email.

Well since you asked...

I'd like to see an option to have water depths expressed with practical fractions (i.e. 11/16" instead of .68").

Hmm I'll have to look into that. If there's a nice plug in formula I can use, I'll add it to the next patch.

I really like http://www.biabcalculator.com/. It's very clean and simple, the interface is straight forward. Only thing I wish it had was preboil gravity. This should be straight forward function involving target gravity and boil off right?

Mine has gravities :)

Yes, SG is a straight forward dilution formula using gravity points and volume.

5.5 gallons @ 40 (1.040) = 7 gallons @ 31.42 (1.03142)

I have used Biabacus from Biabbrewer from the first batch of all grain until now and I have done over 40 brews to date. (At least I lost count at 40.lol). I will probably never use anything else.
It gives you full control and is accurate down to the last drop of water used.
Since using Biabacus I have never wanted to look at others. There is no need as this suits my purpose fully.
To someone that uses it for the first time, it is a little daunting. But after a few brews you will get the hang of it.

Back