BIAB-bag used for pumpkin in boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leedspointbrew

Brewing out in left field, with golf clubs
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Going to be brewing a pumpkin ale this weekend - the recipe calls for 3 lbs of roasted pumpkin (done and cooling), to be added to the boil. I was going to use a (clean and santized) BIAB bag to hold the pumpkin. The melting point of plastic should be pretty far above the boiling point of the wort, so this should work, correct? Or does someone have a better suggestion?
Thanks.

That's kinda fine mesh. I used a nylon mesh bag that I use for whole cone hops and that worked really well. I just use a quick clamp to hold it off the bottom.

I'll be interested in knowing how well your bag drains. Right now I'm thinking you need some good luck. But maybe not anything like I'm imagining.

This might be something to just not use a bag and hope that whirlfloc, irish moss or just a hard long boil give you good sedimentation or good cold break.

Though if your bag doesn't drain out all the wort you need for the FV, just put everything in and it'll later be trub on the bottom.

+1 to the bag draining issue. I've used pumpkin with the grains in a biab during the mash. It worked well except the time I didn't include rice hulls in the grain bill. The pumpkin clogged things up and I had some frantic moments getting the bag full of hot liquid, etc. to drain.

Back