BIAB bag question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jplowe

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry if this question has been asked multiple times but this is my first time attempting all grain.

I just purchased a NB dead ringer BIAB kit and a brewers mesh bag with it. the bag was $5 and i didn't think twice until i read paint strainer bags at the hardware store are just as good and way cheaper.

Are paint strainer bags porous enough to have good enough efficiency or is spending the extra money on the brewers bag better? If the brewers bag is better then can i wash it and reuse or is the bag one time use? I also purchased hop bags to through in but plan on throwing those away. Maybe i could salvage those as well.

I've never compared the two, and honestly haven't even started worrying about efficiency. That said, I hit the 75% projected in my recipe on the nose using a paint strainer. Good enough. I did end up dunk sparging to make up for lost volume and getting impatient with letting the bag drain.

Sorry if this question has been asked multiple times but this is my first time attempting all grain.

I just purchased a NB dead ringer BIAB kit and a brewers mesh bag with it. the bag was $5 and i didn't think twice until i read paint strainer bags at the hardware store are just as good and way cheaper.

Are paint strainer bags porous enough to have good enough efficiency or is spending the extra money on the brewers bag better? If the brewers bag is better then can i wash it and reuse or is the bag one time use? I also purchased hop bags to through in but plan on throwing those away. Maybe i could salvage those as well.

I'm not sure how fine the mesh of your "brewers bag" is, but I have found the paint strainer bags to be too coarse. Too much debris makes it into the fermenter.

If you want to get serious about BIAB, invest the $22 and get a bag from Wilserbrewer. He will custom tailor it to the exact dimensions of your kettle, and the bags are damn-near indestructible. Very fine mesh, but it still won't impact your brewhouse efficiency. I typically get >70% and have occasionally hit close to 80%. And a lot less trub in my fermenter.

Paint strainer bags are just fine, and you can reuse them up to a point. They should not cause any efficiency issues. Never used a "brewers bag", but I'm sure it's just a marketing gimic. The only thing with paint strainer bags is that I find they wear out after a while, especially if you use them for the mash, the boil, and the dryhop.

Thanks. I'll need to check out Wilserbrewer if I continue with the biab method. I did hear that biab can cause more trub because of the lack of filtering compared to the normal multi-vessel method brewing like with coolers. I'm new to all grain so we will see. Thanks again

I've used the paint bags for years w/no problems. Hit 75-80% w/o trouble. But If you want to get serious about BIAB, invest the $22 and get a bag from Wilserbrewer ain't a BAD IDEA. I have one and I love it.

Thanks. I'll need to check out Wilserbrewer if I continue with the biab method. I did hear that biab can cause more trub because of the lack of filtering compared to the normal multi-vessel method brewing like with coolers. I'm new to all grain so we will see. Thanks again

Yes, more trub and higher efficiency. If you're worried about the trub taking up space in your fermenter and getting less beer, add more water to your mash to account for it. I'd suggest about a quart more water would do it.

I've been using paint strainer bags for my BIAB. Since they come 2 per pack, they are really cheap to use. My first one only made about 10 batches before I tore a hole in it but the second one has done over 20 and is still going. Since I worried about it tearing, I bought another 2-pack just in case so when those all wear out I might buy a Wilserbrewer bag.:ban:

The biggest advantage of the brew bag is the drawstring. Makes pulling out 35 LBS of wet grains and holding it over the pot way easier. I made 2 bags from a voile slider panel from walmart, and a length of cotton webbing. Need a sewing machine to do it, if you dont have acces to one, the bag is a worthwhile investment IMHO.

If you want to get serious about BIAB, invest the $22 and get a bag from Wilserbrewer.

I've used the paint bags for years w/no problems. Hit 75-80% w/o trouble. But If you want to get serious about BIAB, invest the $22 and get a bag from Wilserbrewer ain't a BAD IDEA. I have one and I love it.

The biggest advantage of the brew bag is the drawstring. Makes pulling out 35 LBS of wet grains and holding it over the pot way easier. I made 2 bags from a voile slider panel from walmart, and a length of cotton webbing. Need a sewing machine to do it, if you dont have acces to one, the bag is a worthwhile investment IMHO.

Recently doing BIAB after 2 dozen extract batches; using paint strainer bags but they are definitely showing wear and tear with 9-12lb grain bills. A drawstring to hoist would be great and Wilserbrewer will be getting a jingle from me soon. But in a pinch, over 3 brews, paint strainer will suffice, until it doesn't in no doubt a spectacularly kitchen-splattering rippage event.

Paint strainer bags are just fine, and you can reuse them up to a point. They should not cause any efficiency issues. Never used a "brewers bag", but I'm sure it's just a marketing gimic. The only thing with paint strainer bags is that I find they wear out after a while, especially if you use them for the mash, the boil, and the dryhop.

In my (limited) experience, the paint strainer bags you get at your Lowe's and Home Depot (the 5 gallon sized) are great if you're brewing in a 5 gallon pot. That being said, I've tried to use them in the past with my 10 gallon kettle, and they suck for full volume BIAB. They are just too small. One is better off getting a 24"x24" bag from the many vendors here, or (like the previous posts mentioned) maybe ordering a custom bag from wilserbrewer.

Latest posts

Back