BIAB and Partial Mash Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKHopHead

Reaction score
Currently I am using a turkey fryer to do full boil extract recipes. I am interested in trying a partial mash or all grain BIAB but I have a few questions:

all grain BIAB: I don't believe my 30qt kettle is large enough to hold the full boil volume plus the grain bag. Is it possible to mash in a smaller volume of water and then add the remaining water after removing the grain bag? Would this just cost me some efficiency?

Partial Mash: I have read DeathBrewer's partial mash thread and it involves dunking the bag in a second pot of water to sparge. I don't have a second pot that is large enough to do this (only have an 8qt pot). Can I do a "no sparge" partial mash in my turkey fryer? Or would it be better to try to pour 1.5 or so gallons of water over the grain bag to sparge?

Currently I am using a turkey fryer to do full boil extract recipes. I am interested in trying a partial mash or all grain BIAB but I have a few questions:

all grain BIAB: I don't believe my 30qt kettle is large enough to hold the full boil volume plus the grain bag. Is it possible to mash in a smaller volume of water and then add the remaining water after removing the grain bag? Would this just cost me some efficiency?

Partial Mash: I have read DeathBrewer's partial mash thread and it involves dunking the bag in a second pot of water to sparge. I don't have a second pot that is large enough to do this (only have an 8qt pot). Can I do a "no sparge" partial mash in my turkey fryer? Or would it be better to try to pour 1.5 or so gallons of water over the grain bag to sparge?

You're right, a 30qt isn't big enough for full volume and grain. I mash in 4 gallons in a 30qt. After the 90minute mash I lift the bag and squeeze out all I can. I have another 11-13qts(depending on grain bill) heated up to 160 for a sparge to rinse the grain and get as much sugar as I can off. That doesn't take very long, just long enough to soak it, stir it, then up comes the bag to be squeezed again. I have a second 30qt pot for that, but you could just as easily do that in a bucket or cooler. Combining 1st and 2nd runnings into the single 30qt for the boil doesn't leave much room, but it can be done easily.

You're right, a 30qt isn't big enough for full volume and grain. I mash in 4 gallons in a 30qt. After the 90minute mash I lift the bag and squeeze out all I can. I have another 11-13qts(depending on grain bill) heated up to 160 for a sparge to rinse the grain and get as much sugar as I can off. That doesn't take very long, just long enough to soak it, stir it, then up comes the bag to be squeezed again. I have a second 30qt pot for that, but you could just as easily do that in a bucket or cooler. Combining 1st and 2nd runnings into the single 30qt for the boil doesn't leave much room, but it can be done easily.

Hi, but instead of having 2 separate pots, can I just add more water at the end? I have a 15 gallons pot. I want to do 10 gallons batch. By the time I combine all the grains, water, my 15 gallon pot wont cut it so like the first person on this post I was thinking maybe start out with 12 gallons of water (BIAB method) then when that's done add 2 more gallons to bring the water to a total of 14 gallons before boil and hope I will end up some where close to 9 gallons.

Hi, but instead of having 2 separate pots, can I just add more water at the end? I have a 15 gallons pot. I want to do 10 gallons batch. By the time I combine all the grains, water, my 15 gallon pot wont cut it so like the first person on this post I was thinking maybe start out with 12 gallons of water (BIAB method) then when that's done add 2 more gallons to bring the water to a total of 14 gallons before boil and hope I will end up some where close to 9 gallons.

yes... just brew it a little stronger and add the top off water.... just like an extract batch when you first started brewing

You can just add top off water, but your efficiency will be lower. You'd be better off to pour your top off water through the bag into a bucket to try to rinse the grain a little unless your efficiency isn't a concern. I'd sure try to find a way to get some more of that sugar off of the grain. Seems like a waste of sugars to not attempt some sort of rinse, buckets are cheap...or most people have a cooler/ice chest that would work.

Back