BIAB 2-row SMaSH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skrimpy

Reaction score
I've been wanting to do a wheat beer for a while. I watched the basic brewing guys video and thought, wow that's a lot of work I'm not ready for. So I thought I would start simple with something else I've been wanting to do. A light SMaSH. Here it is.

Ingredients
18 lbs 2-row
6 oz cascade
1 tsp irish moss

Pour an Irish Red from the corney in the basement and refill as necessary

single infusion at 152-153 degrees in 13 gallons
haven't decided if I'm going to mashout but if I do I'm going 165 to be safe from extracting tannins.

60 minute boil
2 oz cascade at 60 minutes
1 oz cascade at 30 minutes
1 tsp irish moss at 15 minutes
1 oz cascade at 5 minutes

2 pkg Safale, 1x04 and 1x05 after chill

dry hop 1 oz cascade in each fermenter for 1 day after FG

OG should be 1.04-1.05 assuming 70% efficiency (I'm hoping to hit this or better as I had my LHBS double crush and I'm going to squeeze the bag maybe I'll measure the grav then decide whether or not to squeeze the bag)
FG should be 1.012 and ABV should be ~4.8-5.2%

Wait, whats complicated about doing wheat beer? I thought just adding wheat grains to the mash in the right proportions made it a wheat beer?

No I was going to do the all wheat they did with the decoction mash. too much work for a sunday. If I'm going to do that much work, it better be a work day! ;)

Back