Bhut mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vetusstimulus

Reaction score
My new bhut jolokia mead,,,,, following.the success of.my naga mead i just had to brew another, should be a bit hotter this time,,, and so simple ;-)

Sent from my C6903 using Home Brew mobile app

1395572611103.jpg

ghost mead eh
Just thinking that !

Pretty sure that Bhut Jolokia are the same as the hotter naga's.....

All I do know, is that once the alcohol level has built up some, it will extract all of the capsaicin and then some, especially if the chillies were put in with the seeds and umbilical tissue still in the fruits........

Vodka works well to extract capsaicin so..........

What will you use this Mead for, a defoliant? personal protection? Just kidding, sort of. I know ghost chilies are super-super hot, but how hot does something like this actually turn out?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Depends on ur tolerance, i have friend who.say it's like fire in a glass and others who drink it with ease, on the whole my last one was dry and an excellent drink,,
I used 1 dried chilli in this one seeds and all

Sent from my C6903 using Home Brew mobile app

We got seeds for some scorpions this year, hope they get enough sun. Is your background taste just honey? We are making a capsicumel using just the juice from flame roasted mex peppers and honey with a few mildly hot Thai Dragons and Lemon habs dropped in just for a little bit of heat. I really like the heat and sweet together, hot peppers ground into a powder on a chocolate sunday will have you blowing on your ice cream like your trying to put out the heat! WVMJ

That all sounds excellent, i tend to end up with Very dry mead, not sweat, but hot hot hot,
I make a very basic must, 4lb of honey (ish) and the rest of the basics, then drop in a very hot chilli strain, whole!
Ive used habs without success but my last naga was sooooo good

So,,, i usually cit open a chilli before adding but this time.i forgot, its now blown up like a bloon nd i am worried about it rotting from the inside out and poiling my mead, any one out there have any experience in this or suggestions?

So,,, i usually cit open a chilli before adding but this time.i forgot, its now blown up like a bloon nd i am worried about it rotting from the inside out and poiling my mead, any one out there have any experience in this or suggestions?
Feasible if there was some spoilage organisms in the airspace inside the chilli.........

Equally just as feasible that the yeast has worked its way in and its just fermentation gasses bloating the fruit as it would be a bit harder for it to get out - there may be some bubbles coming from it.

I'd just take it out and cut it and put it back in, on the basis that the cutting will allow the yeast into the flesh more easily and that most spoilage organisms don't survive in an active ferment.......

Also check the smell for sulphur and vinegar as those are the 2 most frequent signs of problems.......

i have opted to leave the chilli alone, I am gonna trust my nose, so far the gas coming from the DJ smells as it should,,,

Latest posts

Back