Beware of the Midwest Supplies 21.99 each for 3 beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lumpher

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I knew this was cheap, so I carefully went through each page. I kept seeing free shipping page after page. When I made the selections and typed in the code, the cheapest shipping was $23.05. I removed the items and unsubscribed from Midwest Supplies at that point.

Where does it say anything about free shipping? I don’t see anything on their website that mentions free shipping anywhere.
MidWest_Free Shipping.png

Mind, there's a minimum order amount of $125!

View attachment 811591

Mind, there's a minimum order amount of $125!
Where is that image captured from? Maybe it’s because I’m browsing using my phone, but I don’t see that particular image anywhere. You also have to dig pretty deep on their website to find the information about free shipping after $125.

Hmm… using a phone must be the difference. This is what I see no matter which way I turn it.

The front page is the only place I found it so far, and it's easy to miss.
Here's what it looks in Chrome on a PC. It seems the gray bar that contains the free shipping offer is missing from your mobile browser:

MidWest_Front Page.png

I knew this was cheap, so I carefully went through each page. I kept seeing free shipping page after page. When I made the selections and typed in the code, the cheapest shipping was $23.05. I removed the items and unsubscribed from Midwest Supplies at that point.
Nothing to beware of except for the buyer paying attention to the minimum order requirement.

Nothing to beware of except for the buyer paying attention to the minimum order requirement.
I agree. For those not aware, Midwest Supply and Northern Brewer have been owned by the same company for a long time. The prices at MS are a little lower than NB, but their price point for free shipping is quite a bit higher. NB has slightly higher prices but has a lower price point to qualify for free shipping. So you pay a little extra at NB, but you get "free" shipping.

MS will sometimes have specials where they reduce the free shipping price point and both of them like to send out discount codes (I often get 10% discount codes from MoreBeer as well).

You also have to dig pretty deep on their website to find the information about free shipping after $125.
I haven't found their free shipping offer anywhere else, except on the front page... And one has to order 6 of those kits, or add other stuff, to make the minimum order amount to qualify for "free" shipping.
Not too bad a price for extract kits, and they can be modified/enhanced... All LME-based, though.

Just to test it out, I tried to put some of those kits in my cart, but... my cart stays empty!
I guess I'd need to log in first, (and create an account) which is not inviting for (potential) customers or to hook a casual browser.👎

I haven't found their free shipping offer anywhere else, except on the front page... And one has to order 6 of those kits, or add other stuff, to make the minimum order amount to qualify for "free" shipping.
Not too bad a price for extract kits, and they can be modified/enhanced... All LME-based, though.

Just to test it out, I tried to put some of those kits in my cart, but... my cart stays empty!
I guess I'd need to log in first, (and create an account) which is not inviting for (potential) customers or to hook a casual browser.👎
I’m pretty sure the Christmas gift of a beginners brewing kit that I received about 20 years ago was from Midwest supplies. They were my go to HBS for many years when I was a beginner. I have since moved on to other companies that seem to have more appealing inventories and deals for me.

Sheesh, 125 for free shipping?
This made me check NB as I'm in their next day shipping range, and that side of the company has also spiked up to 99$. Insane. I used to struggle to get to that 30$ break point when I started out. Hopefully morebeer keeps theirs a bit more reasonable

Back