Bev-Seal Ultra with John Guest Fittings - Air Creeping into Line?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomer754

Reaction score
I just finished upgrading to a 6 tap keezer, and installed 3/16" Bev-Seal Ultra liquid lines with John Guest (JG) quick disconnect fittings on the ball lock fittings (which are MFL) and on the shanks. I'm having some air seepage into the liquid lines somewhere at the keg end. The JG fittings are tightened down (I double checked) on the ball lock connectors. Has anyone had this issue/heard of this? I searched through HBT and could not find anything.

It's not air seeping in; since the kegs are under pressure, if there were a leak it would be beer seeping out. Do you have a fan in your keezer? It's quite common for the top of a keezer to be several degrees warmer than the bottom. This would result in CO2 breaking out of the solution as it warms up in the lines.

Zach's right. There's no negotiating with the laws of physics. High pressure always wants to move to low pressure, not vice versa. Unless your kegs are pulling a vacuum, you cannot get air into your lines from outside the system. Temp variation is more likely what you're seeing.

Could be the serving side o-ring between the post and dip tube... if those are bad, or the post is loose, it will allow gas into the beer line.
Or it could be an obstruction or disturbance where the tube goes into the guest fitting, or in the quick coupler... even a bur can cause Co2 to come out of solution.

Generally, two things cause gas pockets in your beer lines. Temperature stratification where the lines are warmer than the kegs and as a result CO2 comes out of solution, or a pressure inbalance. If your beer is carbonated at a higher level than the serving pressure on your keg you will notice pockets forming as well. This happens especially often when you burst carb a beer rather than going for something closer to the set and forget method.

Back