Better with age?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

callisbeers

Reaction score
I brewed an IPA on October 17th, moved to secondary fermentation on October 30th, kegged on November 14th, sat to carbonate until November 19th. Beer tasted good at that time, was hazy, carbonation was low. Today (poured my last two beers) the beer had cleared somewhat, carbonation was spot on, and even the taste was better. I even had some settling in the keg that I poured off before the two beers. Is this normal for beers to get with with age? Should I be letting them sit longer before drinking (even though waiting is hard to do)?

Yes, in most cases beers get better with age. It's called conditioning, both in a fermentter and in a bottle. That's why we promote patience so much on here. There's an old saying that the best beer is the last beer in a batch.

If you give the beer time, you'll be amazed.

When first bottled/kegged they are kind of crappy but improve over the next few weeks. The bigger the beer, the longer they can be matured. If you like the beer, drink it!

B

My IPA peaked at some 5 weeks in the bottles,then 1-2 weeks in the fridge. That after some 3.5 weks in primary,& 1 week dry hop.

Back