Better Guitarist... Clapton or Vaughan?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BreezyBrew

IPA is my spirit animal
Reaction score
I've been listening to them both lately... Clapton is way better across styles, but Vaughan just kills it on the blues. What do Ya'll think?

I think Clapton is more well-rounded...but I have to put my vote to Stevie Ray, he is just technically flawless on the blues. And on Hendrix...his covers like Voodoo Child and Little Wing just kill it. Gone way too soon.

I think Clapton is a better guitarist overall. However, Stevie Ray plays the blues better in my opinion. Either way, it's a tough call on who's the best.

Don't have the knowledge to compare guitar heros, but while I grew up with Hendrix, Clapton and to a lesser extent Vaughan (I'm not a blues guy) I'm a huge David Gilmour fan. Also find Carlos Santana simply amazing...

Cheers!

Vaughan played with FREAKIN 13s ON HIS AXE!! Bending those is like pulling an elevator cable! I love both of e'm, I do really, huge influences on me personally, but if I just had to pick one to watch play it would be Stevie Ray Vaughan every time.

Now if you guys will excuse me, this is where I slip off to youtube for some 'The Sky is Crying" inspiration then sit with my Fender and Marshall half stack for the next hour and look like a guitar retard compared to either one of those guitar greats!

I think Clapton is more well-rounded...but I have to put my vote to Stevie Ray, he is just technically flawless on the blues. And on Hendrix...his covers like Voodoo Child and Little Wing just kill it. Gone way too soon.

Ding Ding Ding...

Although I think Clapton is probably a better guitarist I would rather listen to Stevie Ray. Just something about a guy who can make his guitar sing the blues. Also Little Wing is my favorite song (hendrix version) and Stevie Ray kills it.

I was lucky enough to see them both several times back in the '80s. One thing I know is that SRV was a much better showman.

I'm so-so on Clapton. Not that he wasn't a great guitarist, but I think he was overrated in a lot of ways, especially later on. His earlier stuff was more interesting and I think that is why he got to be as renown as a guitarist.

SRV was definitely well known for the blues. I think he kicked everyone mentioned on this list's ass playing the blues, with the possible exception of Jimi, and he DID play a couple of Jimi tunes better (IMO). Jimi was very talented in blues tunes, and could step out to play other stuff too, though.

For the purposes of the OP question, I'm going to go with Clapton in general, SRV on blues, Jimi and SRV both gone too early, and Gilmore right up there in appeal, if not technical proficiency. He was able to create a style that was definitely blues based, without sounding like he was playing the blues.

So, really, I am going with Clapton. SRV played an awful lot of blues and shuffle tunes, which I'm not into, but he did it amazingly well. I like the other guys as much or better than Clapton though...

I've been listening to them both lately... Clapton is way better across styles, but Vaughan just kills it on the blues. What do Ya'll think?

I don't really see much comparison, 2 totally different styles. Even if they played the same tune, there are going to be some very significant differences. Even Jimi Hendrix played the same tune differently from time to time; often making the 2 renditions seem like 2 totally different tunes.

I honestly can't say I like one over the other, I like BOTH. I could listen to SRV's version of Voodoo Chile & then listen to Clapton/Winwood's version and it's a totally different sound, but it's the same song. I like both of them.
Regards, GF.

Clapton's body of work is much greater than Vaughn's. I grew up listening to Clapton and the various bands he played in. It wasn't until I was out of college that Vaughn and his brother hit the music scene. And, unfortunately, his career ended way too soon. Yes, Stevie Ray Vaughn played great blues but his style was limited to Texas blues – a hybrid of Blues-Rock. His brother Jimmy, who I had a chance to meet a few years back, has a more well-rounded blues portfolio – including Chicago and Delta blues.

And don’t forget Clapton, started with the Yardbirds as a Blues-Rock guitarist (along with Jimmy Page and Jeff Beck). Clapton, in his early years, also played with John Mayall and the Blue Breakers. Eric Clapton is an excellent musician and an outstanding blues guitarist.

If I had to pick one over the other, I would have to give the nod to Eric Clapton.

Sadly, Vaughn's early demise limits his body of work. Who knows what direction he might have gone given enough time.

I agree that his style is narrowly focused, but he gave glimpses into his ability in other areas as well, just as Hendrix did, and Clapton eventually did too.

Since John Scofield isn't on the list of choices, I'm having a tough time choosing. Clapton has evolved so much over the years, and SRV wasn't afforded that opportunity. Imagine if Clapton had to be judged against BB King but you were limited to choosing based only on his work with the Yardbirds.

I pick Clapton based on the scope of his ability and his library of work today. That's a tough choice to make, though.

Clapton is one amazing freaking guitar player. I was raised listening to him.

I was also raised listening to SRV. And has been mentioned above, Stevie didn't live long enough for the real true to come out.

I'd say Clapton is a better guitarist.

I enjoy SRV more tho.

Tho I do enjoy me some Clapton. Early Clapton tho.

I vote Stevie

Sent from myPhone

What, no Yngwie Malmsteen?

I kid, I kid. He's up there with Celine Dion in terms of pompous assitutude. I AM THE GREATEST GUITARIST IN THE WORLD.

Between the two, I'd pretty much say what everyone else here has, Clapton is better overall but can't beat Vaughn with the blues.

What, no Yngwie Malmsteen?

I kid, I kid. He's up there with Celine Dion in terms of pompous assitutude. I AM THE GREATEST GUITARIST IN THE WORLD.

Between the two, I'd pretty much say what everyone else here has, Clapton is better overall but can't beat Vaughn with the blues.

LOL! I know what you mean.

But then you see Yngwie play and it's just incredible. His song choices and attitude are why his career got stuck where it did. Technically he's beyond amazing.

Also not a blues player, so this post is just about his ability, not comparing with these other guys. There are many other guitar players I enjoy more than either Clapton or Vaughn. The blues is not my thing.

But right now I am tuning in some Little Wing, SRV style!

Eric Johnson........

But, as for Clapton, go out and find his MTV unplugged from 1992 or 93.........His acoustic playing is top notch.

It's Clapton for me.

I've been a Santana fan since the first album came out when I was still at school. I saw him live for the first time last year. What a disapointment. His band were poor and the sound was abysmal. He alienated the audience with senseless ramblings and finished the set abruptly when we wouldn't chant a song about a squirrel. Great guitar player but I'll stick to listening to his albums in future.

+1 forJoe Bonamassa. I've seen him many times live and still think he's the best.

All great points. I'm in the "why choose?" camp.

I was able to see Clapton live in the early 2000's. That was a huge disappointment. His guitar playing was spot on, but he was no showman. The concert was pretty boring. The most boring one I've been to in fact. He almost seemed annoyed to be there. I also saw BB King at one of his birthday celebration concerts around that time. Even though he sat on stage the entire show, just like Clapton did, BB King still knew how to entertain at his old age. He didn't just show up to play a guitar and collect a paycheck. SRV, I just never had an opportunity to watch him live and who knows how his music would have evolved over time. I equally enjoy most of their recorded music.

SRV. It's not even close to me. I love Clapton too and he's an all time great. But SRV was far greater at soloing and as a blues guitarist.

SRV. It's not even close to me. I love Clapton too and he's an all time great. But SRV was far greater at soloing and as a blues guitarist.

I guess I'm choosing SRV for this reason. I enjoyed Clapton's stuff the farther away from the blues he went, while for SRV I can enjoy his stuff even if it's blues heavy.

I love both but SRV is way better than slow hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Clapton is a great technical guitarist. Plays very clean. I see it as almost cold, unemotional, or with little feeling. Stevie made love to his guitar and stretched the limits of the blues and popular music. I like them both, but for me Stevie is hands down better.

SRV if its only between those two. Throw in Zak Wylde and its a whole new ball game.

Stevie was a far more talented and powerful guitarist than Eric; the closest to Hendrix that anybody has ever came. Comparing them is like comparing an atomic bomb to a nine millimeter bullet. Clapton even said it himself.

Ironically, my very favorite Clapton performance ever was during his part of the tribute to SRV:

Last edited by a moderator:
SRV if its only between those two. Throw in Zak Wylde and its a whole new ball game.

Zakk isn't even the best Ozzy guitarist. Comparing him to blues guitarists is just wrong though. BB King, Robert Johnson, Rory Gallagher, etc. are who you'd compare. Wylde you compare to Rhoads, EVH, Hammett, Dimebag, Slash, etc.

Put me down in Stevie's camp. He was pretty damn amazing in studio work, but that was never where his true strength was - his true gifts came through in his live performances (and I'm seriously jealous of all of you who got a chance to really experience them, rather than just listening to old recordings of them). In fact, reading a biography of Stevie, when it came up to his last performance, it mentioned how Clapton actually went and talked to Buddy Guy before they all went on stage together for their final song, and asked just how to handle performing with the guy without getting blown away. He was that intimidating a presence that even Clapton wasn't sure how to approach performing with him! I have a recording somewhere of that last performance - Buddy Guy, Robert Cray, Jimmy Vaughn, Clapton, and SRV, all playing Sweet Home Chicago - and in the end, it basically came down to everyone backing off and letting Clapton and SRV take center stage. And that part of the song made no illusions about who was in charge, and who was the master of the stage that night.

As to the question of breadth of style - sure, Stevie started off almost purely Texas blues. But there were a few Jazz influenced songs thrown in on a couple albums, and just before his death, as he was sobering up, his music started showing much more of a rock sensibility - there was still some blues influence there, but Crossfire, for instance, was nothing like Pride and Joy... I would've loved to see where he would've gone, given a few more years.

I remember the intimidation story, but couldn't place it. Thanks for the reminder. I 've loved Clapton since 'Fresh Cream', but I get more excited about SRV needle drops now. Maybe I 'm played out...'Stairway to Heaven ' syndrome, perhaps. Nobody has mentioned Jorma Kaukonen or David Bromberg yet: two awesome guitarists and great performers to boot. Any list has to include Jeff Beck: the guitar players guitar player.

Zakk isn't even the best Ozzy guitarist. Comparing him to blues guitarists is just wrong though. BB King, Robert Johnson, Rory Gallagher, etc. are who you'd compare. Wylde you compare to Rhoads, EVH, Hammett, Dimebag, Slash, etc.

I wonder why Les Paul himself named Zakk as one of the greatest of all times? I am not comparing Zakk from his Ozzy days. Listen to some of his blues from Black Label Society. Plus all of this is strictly just a matter of opinion. I myself really enjoy the acoustic blues work from Zakk. SRV sure could make that Fender talk.

Back