Better Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SCARYLARRY

Reaction score
Can a Better Bottle be used as a primary fer? I have made wine over the past few years and going to give beer a run this coming weekend. I have three Better Bottles Carboys and everything else I need to do this. Just didn't know if there is an advantage on using a bucket type fermentor over a carboy.

Yes, better bottles can be used as primaries. I use them exclusively right now.

The only advantage to using a bucket is they are a bit easier to get in and clean, but a little oxyclean in a better bottle for a day or so will do the job as well.

Welcome to HBT and good luck on that first batch.

krausen5.jpg

I have one of each size, and I use them for primaries all the time...here's my 3 gallon in action.

I use better bottles exclusively too. If you rinse them with a bottle washer after transfering out of them they clean easily.

You can use a better bottle, alot of people do. I use plastic better bottle like plastic carboys all the time. They clean up better then glass, and are easier to hual around... buckets get alot of hipe because they are easier to clean, cheaper, and allow for frequent gravity checks with out taking a sample if one desires, as long as the hydrometer is sanitized... that it... if you want to use a bucket then buy a large bucket which is chemfree, and food grade plastic... You can find these are alot of places, resturant supply stores, hardware stores, HB shops... thats it... Use your BB's and you wont have to put out any extra money

Cheers

Why don't they make the 5 and 6'ers in that same shape? That would be so much easier to situate them in my ferm chiller...

:mug:

I know...and inmy rubbermade swamp chiller (which it is in without ice water) two can if one in front of the other. I calculated and I could ferment 6 in there.

Latest posts

Back