Better bottle or glass carboy for belgian tripel??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sime13w

Reaction score
So I was reading that you need to secondary for 9-12 months. It also recommends using a glass carboy which I don't have and don't want to purchase. Will my beer not come out as good just because I used a better bottle? Oh and I have 3 ea 6.5 gal carbons not the 5 gal which eliminates all the headspace. What do all the experienced brewers suggest I do?

This is exactly what it says.... **Due to the amount of fermentable sugars it is strongly recommended to leave in secondary fermenter for 9-12 months to allow flavors to properly blend.

**Due to the amount of fermentable sugars it is strongly recommended to leave in secondary fermenter for 9-12 months to allow flavors to properly blend.

I don't know if there are any Belgians (with the notable exception of sour beers and Orval) that are conditioned in bulk for a year.

It is worth waiting, and the beer will probably reach a peak around a year, but feel free to bottle the beer a couple of weeks after it reaches stable FG.

To answer your question: It is my understanding that there is no problem with extended aging of beer in Better Bottles, and it will be fine for a year.

If you do plan on conditioning for that long it is highly recommend that you use the smallest vessel you can to minimize the amount of headspace available. like you really want none:) If there is too much head space available the beer has a greater ability of becoming oxidized and that would be bad........very very bad......

Back