Better Bottle - For _____ use only.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsay

Reaction score
Has anyone noticed this same thing: on the bottom of my better bottle, it has raised letters that say "For water use only" except the word water has been sanded off!

This is an authentic Better Bottle, not some water bottle I picked up in the store....

WTH?

no, I haven't noticed...but better bottle is sells them to water distributors as well...In fact They probably BEGAN making water bottles, then saw the market for homebrewers as well....

I have no reason to believe they are any different than the PET water bottles and I'd bet that Bsay is looking at a 5g version (which would be the same mould as the water bottles). The 6g version was likely added to the lineup after it became clear that 5g isn't big enough for primary use.

Yea, mine are both 5 gallon versions, I mainly use them as secondaries and for things like hard lemonade which ferments so slow I just airlock it and store it for a month.

I'm with Bobby....it was probably more cost effective to use the same molds they were using for the water bottles....just remove the "water" lettering so is to not disturb the heard

It's not what is written on the bottom, but what the material is. Look at the number cast into the plastic and that will tell you if it is OK or not.

I was going to use the water bottles we get from work until I realized they were #1 and we need #7 or vise versa.

It's vice versa. You need #1 bottles. I use #1 5 gal water bottles and they work just fine. An added benefit...the cap on the water bottle has a 5/8" hole so just buy a 5/8" OD vinyl hose and stick it in the hole for a blow-off tube. I've not had any problems with this system in over 200 gallons.

*The only water bottles I've found that were #1 are from Dahlonega Spring water in Ga.

You can also use #2 HDPE. A lot of water bottle manufacturers are going to #1 or #2 plastics now.

Latest posts

Back