Better Air Conditioning Fermentation Setup? (Pic)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scotched

Reaction score
I have a 2'x2'x3' closet shelf that I'd like to turn into a fermentation chamber. I've decided that my keezer will be used for serving only.

I've been looking at various "air conditioning" designs, and I'm torn between two simple ice/fan based systems:

aircondition.jpg

I'm just wondering which design is more efficient (power to cooling ratio) given an equal amount of power to begin with. (Let's say that the pump OR the fan draws same amount of power).

I have no experience but I would bet the fan + copper pipe is more efficient due to the copper pipe having a higher surface area. It may cost more though.

Based on my limited HVAC design experience, I'd bet that the second would be more efficient due to the fact that you are merely recirculating the air instead of introducing outside (warmer) air into the system.

A fan and the copper will cost what another chest freezer would off craigslist...just saying :)

I'm in a similar situation as my sole chest freezer now has 4 kegs which I won't finish anytime soon, but I've been itching to brew for a month now.

A fan and the copper will cost what another chest freezer would off craigslist...just saying :)

It would probably cost more than a used chest freezer (copper, fan, pump, insulation, controller) now that i thnk of it....

It would probably cost more than a used chest freezer (copper, fan, pump, insulation, controller) now that i thnk of it....

If you keep an eye on CL, you can find 5.x cu. ft. chest freezers for less than $50 or even free if your lucky. The temp controller will cost more than the freezer.

Another way of cooling is a spare window a/c unit. If you can find one of these somewhere, you can make a very nice ale ferm chamber. I have one of these available to me and I need to make an ale chamber so I can keep my small keezer for lagers.

Back