Beta Glucan Break Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masampson

Reaction score
so i'm brewing tonight. going for a rye ipa, pretty heavy on the rye. i hear its a good idea to do a beta glucan rest for mashes consisting of over 25% rye, so i was curious how to go about doing this if my mash/lauter tun is a 48 quart picnic cooler..i know the temperature and time that it's suggested for, but i'm not sure how much water i should use and still be able to raise the temp for the initial mash (152F) or if it's possible at all i guess, since my grains are already crushed and mixed together. any thoughts?

My guess: if I am correct the next water addition need to be around 180 strike to be at the desired temp. As for quantity you need to calculate your batch size and total water volume needed to achieve it. Most absorption occurs during mash in so that amount is already figured. The third addition needs to be around 200F strike to mash out at 168f and, as well calculate quantity based on batch. I believe this is a greater amount then the second assuming you batch sparge you want enough water to rinse the sugars out

Do you use brewing software? Should give you what you need as well

Hope that helps:)

right on, well for instance, i'm brewing a 5 gal batch, using 15 lbs of grain at 1.25 qts/lb so i'm using 18.75 qts total for the mash. i guess i'm wondering out of that 18.75 what i should first use for the 105 target, then i can add the rest of my 180 to reach about 152? and yes, i'm batch sparging.

i don't use software, i probably should. do you mean a literal .exe you have or just the little calculators you can look up online?

I'm assuming you are doing a full boil? You will need to gather a total of 6.25 gallons of wort to account for boil off at 1G/hr. at 18.75qts that's only 4.6 gallons minus about .89G for absorption.

Assuming you mash in with the 4.6 gallons you need to divide the remainder if water required into the next steps to get your total required volume.

Software like Beersmith, free trial, or ibrew or brew print, all these allow you enter recipes and perform all the calculations you are inquiring about.

I'm sorry I can't give you more help on volumes per step, I've sort of depended on the software and have forgotten all the math:)

haha hey no problem! yeah i'll invest in getting that beersmith thang. (i meant the 4.6 gallons for just mashing, not including sparge water) still new to this craziness!

Back