• We have a new forum and it needs your help! Homebrewing Deals is a forum to post whatever deals and specials you find that other homebrewers might value! Includes coupon layering, Craigslist finds, eBay finds, Amazon specials, etc.

Best way to vacuum seal homegrown hops?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

rwing7486

Reaction score
I am about to vacuum seal my homegrown hops in the next few days and was hoping for some input. Last year I vacuum sealed bags of my hops using foodsaver FM2000 and food saver bags. I had no problem storing them or with the sealing the bags, but when I went to use them I noticed there was quite a bit of lupulin stuck to the inside surface of the bag. Is there a specific type of bag (material) i should be using when I store my hops to minimize this from happening? I am just trying to get the most out of my hops.

Thanks!

Leezer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve used the same for my hops for a few years now, although model number a little different, and haven’t had that happen. I’m wondering if your hops were too dry and fell apart in the bag?

Kaz15

Reaction score
I've been using the clear plastic vacuum seal rolls as well. The ones you cut to size. I've noticed lots of lupulin in the bags as well. On brew day I try to scrape out that yellow goodness with my brew spoon to get it in the kettle. I'm generally not too worried about it. The aroma I get from my homegrown cascades is still amazing.

Something else to to ponder: I'm guessing most of us here are familiar with hop hash? That's essentially a product derived from lupulin that gets stuck in the machinery of the pellitizer. I'd almost equate that to the lupulin we have getting stuck inside the vacuum bag. Perhaps being devils advocate here, I'd still wager that we're getting more of the lupulin goodness than pelletized hops.

Full disclosure, I have no issues using pellet hops. :)