Best way to transfer wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poison2003

Reaction score
Hey whats the best and easiest way to transfer wort from pot to the carboy?
When i tried to siphon one of the pieces fell of and now its fermenting with it since i cant get it out in anyway.

A siphon works best. If one is not available and, you are pitching this into the primary, a funnel will work, and provide a fair amount of aeration for your wort.

also does it really matter to cool it down to 70? even if u add about 3 more gallons to the 2 gallons of wort
since when u mix it in it seems like it will just even out the temperature

Well, you should still cool it for a couple of reasons- one is that it's hard to bring the temperature down if it's still too warm. 5 gallons of 85 degree wort in a carboy would take a LONG time to cool to pitching temperature. Also, you could very easily crack your carboy by pouring hot wort into it. And, some people will tell you to never agitate hot wort due to the possiblity of hot side aeration.

I would cool it, then strain it into the carboy. Then add cool water to top off to the 5 gallons. This also aerates the cooled wort. I don't siphon mine- I do use a big strainer and pour it into my primary bucket.

I use a bucket, but I use an auto-siphon to get the wort to the bucket when it hits 80. I let it sit for about an hour or so after pitching yeast and then put the bucket in a bathtub with some cold water in it to bring the temp down slowly overnight. Usually it's 68 the next morning.

Main reason I do this is not to thermally shock the dry yeast that has been rehydrating at near 90 degrees.

Back