Best Way To Start?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drinkmybeeryo

Reaction score
Hello fellow beer(wo)men.
I plan on purchasing my equipment today to start the joyous journey of home brewing!! I just had some quick questions before i went and purchased these items, although the gentleman there could probably help me as well.
My questions are"
1- are the preset kits any good? I only ask because i see pictures of peoples sets all crazy with things i did not see in the preset kits at the home brew store.

2-What is the easiest starter beer that you all recommend? I hear a porter is the easiest.

I apologizes if this question was already answered in earlier posts but i just could not find the thread.
thank you for any information!!

I bought a beginner kit with a bucket, a carboy, a hydrometer, thermometer, some sanitizer, racking cane / tube, and a stopper and airlock.

The only thing I have since bought is a bottle filler attachment, and an auto siphon.

Don't think you need all the rest of the fancy equipment until you are sure you like the hobby and will actually use the stuff you buy.

It was roughly 65$ for the kit. The autosiphon and bottle filler were about another 15$.

That's in Canada though, so it will probably be cheaper in the US. For some reason, things cost more here, even though the dollar is above par...

to answer your kit question, yes! by all means, premeasured kits containing all the required ingredients can make great beer. I started my brewing hobby with two Brewer's Best Kits, American Amber and Black IPA. I have since moved onto buying the raw ingredients in bulk from my LHBS to make my own recipes. The kits will help you to become familiar with the brewing process and eliminate a lot of the guesswork.
A porter is a great beer to try first, you are correct in that they can be very simple to put together. A few things to keep in mind are Sanitation, sanitation, sanitation, and most importantly, patience! I was guilty of rushing my first brews, but now realize that it often takes a month or more before a beer is ready to bottle. Keep tuned into these forums and by all means share any questions, you will find people have answers and reassurances for almost any concern you can come up with.

Welcome to the sport!

Edit: The Brewer's Best Starter Kit (includes all the hardware you are discussing) I bought at a LHBS in NY for $90. You can check out www.austinhomebrew.com they have very competitive pricing and reasonable shipping if you dont have a LHBS in your area

=============================================
Primary1: "Black Idea" Cascadian IPA
Primary2: Pinot Noir
Primary3: Air
Secondary1: Magic Hat #9 Clone
Secondary2: Russian Imperial Stout
Secondary3: Cinnamon Spiced Aphelwine
Bottle Conditioning: Sam Summer Clone, Caffery's Clone, Mind Bending Barleywine, Aphelwien
Drinking: "Black Idea", McQuaker's Oatmeal Stout, American Amber Ale

to answer your kit question, yes! by all means, premeasured kits containing all the required ingredients can make great beer.

Good info in your post, but I think he was talking about equipment kits, not ingredient kits.

I think nearly everyone here started brewing with something similar to what you'd find in a standard equipment kit, but they do have certain limitations. I'd definitely say to start with one, and then start adding pieces as you need/want them.

The only piece of equipment I think would be helpful to add to the beginner kit (along with the filler and auto siphon I already bought), would be a copper coil wort chiller.

It will only be winter for a few more weeks, and soon will not have anymore free ice and snow. :(

Buy as little as possible right now and figure out if you truly enjoy the hobby. I started with a beginners equipment kit and added to it as I went. I would recommend an autosiphon for sure and a wort chiller soon as immediate add ons. From there on out it is mostly more fermenters, keg setup (or more bottles if you stick with bottling), bigger kettle, brutus 10, etc. It goes on forever. Good luck and have fun.:)

I got the Cooper's make your own beer kit from makebeer.net for $120,something like that. It comes with the fermenter (it has a big screw on lid with course threads) with a tap that's above where the trub will be,long spoon,hydrometer,30 PET bottles & caps,air lock,bottling wand,etc.
Basically everything you need to make beer,even the OS lager kit. But you still need a brew kettle & sanitizer. The beer I've got in the FV now had so much pressure from the krausen pushing against the lid,that fermenter was creaking like an old wooden ship! But it held. And it can make 6 gallon batches,if your using a beer kit that fills to 23L. 5 gallon batches should be no sweat at all. It's worked well so far,& when I cleaned it with PBW (the home brew TV guy talked about it),with some sanitizer,had nothing more than a nice clean smell.

I got the Cooper's make your own beer kit from makebeer.net for $120,something like that. It comes with the fermenter (it has a big screw on lid with course threads) with a tap that's above where the trub will be,long spoon,hydrometer,30 PET bottles & caps,air lock,bottling wand,etc.

The beer I've got in the FV now had so much pressure from the krausen pushing against the lid,that fermenter was creaking like an old wooden ship!

What's the airlock for if you're not using it on the fermenter? Or was the pressure from the krausen clogging it, in which case put a blow off tube on.

What's the airlock for if you're not using it on the fermenter? Or was the pressure from the krausen clogging it, in which case put a blow off tube on.

I used it on the fermenter,it was an "S" type. I got rid of it after the 1st brew. Got the cup (3 piece) airlock on it now. Just didn't mention it. I filled it with cheap vodka,as Gary Wilson says he does.
I wondered if the krausen clogged it till,3 days later,I came in from a short trip & short strings of bubbles started coming out now & then. Like bursts from a machine pistol. Besides,I didn't want to loose any beer. But I was concerned,since it's sitting about 6-7' to my right right now. IDK...I didn't get much airlock activity on my 1st one either. At least,not when I'm around it. I guess a watched pot really doesn't boil. lolz.
I got the lid screwed down as tight as I can. It held the pressure great! I used a pair of robo grip pliers on the tap hex to make sure it's good & tight. Maybe a new lid seal? It's a white color.IDK if it's silicone or what?...

I can't say I have ever seen a fermenter like that, very interesting. I guess I wouldn't worry about it unless you have a contamination issue. Airlock activity is just co2 being released.

If bubbles were coming out of your airlock then krausen definitely got in there (but you should be able to see it). I use glass carboys with bungs and S shaped airlocks (I prefer them to 3 piece because they don't allow suck back if cold crashing or lagering). I wouldn't worry about losing beer through a blow off tube unless it is going really crazy, usually you'll just lose some yeast and trub/hop particles that are in the krausen plus it's a much better option than beer on the ceiling.

Latest posts

Back