Best Way to Ship a Brew Kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tyhoward

Reaction score
Does anyone on here have tricks for shipping brew kettles at reasonable rates? The usual suspects' (FedEx, UPS, USPS) prices are deal breakers. Looking into Greyhound shipment, but there website has been down for like a week.

Thanks in advance.

I don't have an answer for you, but we (us, consumers) don't get a shipping rate anywhere near what most companies receive. Deal breaker is an understatement, we're being gouged!

Get in good with a company that does a lot of shipping and pay them to do it. I am friends with the owners of a technology supply company. They ship 100's of large packages per week. If I need to ship something large, I box it up take it to him he tells me what his cost is to ship and pay him for the shipment. He also accepts homebrew as payment.

I used to ship my Christmas presents home from Florida to Rhode Island, rather than trying to take them as baggage on the airline. In 2000 it cost about $12. I stopped that and made room in my luggage about 5 years ago when a smaller box would have cost $43. The box was about 12"w x 15"l by 8"h and weighed less than 15 pounds.

Greyhound is definitely the way to go for large items. But there might be a lot of handling (bus drivers moving packages from one bus to another), which increases the chance of damage ...

For anyone who comes across this in the future, here is what I was able to find:

Trying to ship a 15g kettle.

1. USPS and Greyhound were similar around $40.

2. FedEx was $57. We have a company account which would have discounted any service but apparently not ground.

Back