Best Way To Cut A Keg??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayWeezie

Reaction score
I got a keg over the weekend to convert to my brew pot an I'm curious how most ppl cut the top off? Cutting wheel, sawzall, torch, Plasma cutter? The first two of those I can get my hands on. The others I would have to pay someone. Just wondering what will make the best/cleanest cut.

I used an angle grinder with a metal cutting disc. I freehanded it by resting the guard on the lip of the keg and had no problem cutting through the keg. The first keg I cut took about 20 minutes due to learning the process. The second keg took 5 minutes.

After cutting, take a flap disc and sand the edges clean so that you don't cut your arm/hand.

A skilled hand could make good, quick work with a plasma cutter. Everybody else should stick to the angle grinder.

Let me add this question...Whats the preferred method for drainage of the keggle? I havent seen to many in person to know the differences between drainage systems.

I used a Angle Grinder and the cutting disks....Ohh be sure to wear safety glasses! They saved my eyes for sure!

I used a Angle Grinder and the cutting disks....Ohh be sure to wear safety glasses! They saved my eyes for sure!

Good Point. Safety glasses, and also good thick leather gloves are a must. Although they wont save you from a catastrophic mistake (like losing a digit), they will save you from a trip to the hospital if you accidently knick yourself.

+1 on the Angle Grinder. And I've seen rigs to keep it centered, for a perfect circle. But I just rested the guard against the edge of the keg, kept a good circle.

My lesson learned - since I had used angle grinders but never to cut in a circle - go back and forth on your circle line, to slowly cut through. Only takes 5 minutes. Just don't go straight down, then try to bend it in a circle. Will break your disc really quickly.

For drainage - stainless ball valve. There are plenty of weldless fitting out there. Just drill the right size hole and insert.

take it to the local stainless steel welder down the street with your stainless ball valve and have him do both for 20 bucks. Pick it up the next day and give him a couple of home brews. He did my other one for just the brews next time.

Back