best way to crack grains with out a mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgrcltpunk

Reaction score
ok so i have some grains at home that aren't cracked and i need to crack them obviously i don't have a mill, whats the best way to do this? im thinking put in a zip-lock bag a little at a time and use a rolling pin

What about more than a pound or two?

Say you wanted to do an AG but you currently can only afford the grain or the mill (purely hypothetical no relation to my real life situation;))

I have done the rolling pin method with 2 lb of crystal which worked fine. however I am not looking forward to doing it with a full grain bill :(.

RIchard

What about more than a pound or two?

Say you wanted to do an AG but you currently can only afford the grain or the mill (purely hypothetical no relation to my real life situation;))

I have done the rolling pin method with 2 lb of crystal which worked fine. however I am not looking forward to doing it with a full grain bill :(.

RIchard

Why not just have the HBS do the milling for you? No way would I attempt to crack 10 lb of grain using only things I have in my kitchen.

You really don't want to be rolling more than a pound or two. It takes alot longer than you might think. If you can, get your shop to do it for you. My local shop charges 20 cents a pound crushed. Did I also mention it gets pretty messy...

Before I switched shops I couldn't crush grains when I bought it...so I just used a plastic bag and a can of LME. Rolling pin works just fine as well...anything hard and cylindrical will get the job done.

I wonder if a few seconds in a food processor would work? Or would that turn it into flour too easily?

If there's a microbrewery near you, ask if they could help you out and mill your grains. I was checking out a local one yesterday and the brewmaster said the he'll grind grains and gives away yeast to homebrewers all the time. He just asks that you bring in a bottle of your stuff in return :mug:

anything hard and cylindrical will get the job done.?
.... thats what she said

If there's a microbrewery near you, ask if they could help you out and mill your grains. I was checking out a local one yesterday and the brewmaster said the he'll grind grains and gives away yeast to homebrewers all the time. He just asks that you bring in a bottle of your stuff in return :mug:
yeah.... i wonder if saint george would give away yeast

Any method that doesn't physically squeeze the grain to the point of cracking is going to be less than ideal. Things with blades just shred and you end up with husk powder.

You might get a pound of crystal or highly roasted grains because the hulls are brittle. I dare anyone to try hand crushing 10 pounds of base 2-row to the point of usable (more than 50% efficiency).

I actually tried my first AG batch a few nights ago! I was so excited about getting some 2-row/munich grains I created a quick recipe for a nice American Pale in a 3 gallon batch. I then began to 'crush' my grains using the rolling pin & bag method.

Yeah friggin right.

I mean, after 2 hours, my efficiency was still only about 30%. Too funny, at least I did not use much grain. My OG was 1.020!!! I was so pissed off, I almost dumped it on principle. After I calmed down and wiped away my tears, I went out and bought some LME and did a very small boil, cooled it, and added to my wort since I had already pitched my yeast. Shes going strong now, and it will probably taste better than most extract batches since I used 2-row and some crystal 80L.

The next day, I used my credit card to buy the Grain Crusher online. Including shipping & exchange (canadian here) it cost me $163.00. Money well spent, I already have several recipes I am itching to try as soon as it arrives.

I am thinking about doing a 3 gallon mash, and splitting my boil into 2 parts to try out different combinations of hops for 2 IIPA varieties.

Anyway, lesson learned. DO NOT, for the love of all that is sacred, try and crush more than a pound or so with the rolling pin.

Latest posts

Back