Best Way to Cool with CF Chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Copperpots_Brewing

Reaction score
I built a counterflow chiller several months back, and after doing some random poking around on the interwebs, I noticed some other people are chilling their wort differently than I am. I just drain the hot wort through the CFC and into my fermentation container. But I noticed some people recirculate their hot wort through the CFC and back into the kettle and basically cool the whole batch together. In my head, that would take more time, but is it beneficial in anyway? Maybe the cold break proteins will precipitate out more?
Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

I have to recirculate for 5 mins to get down to pitching temp, can yours reach that temp in one pass? How big is the thing! If one pass is enough, why do more?

+1, its all about the temperatures your getting with your single pass. During the winter my water is very cold so a single pass will get me mid 60's wort. During the summer months the best I can do is low to mid 80's so I after I get it cold as possible, I then recirculate through a ice bath. I have to be careful as I "could" bring it down to the 40 and 50's very quickly.

I can't see how it would take more time. You are going to remove heat at the same rate, approximately, in either case.

The advantages to recirculating are that you cool the entire volume down, not just the portion that has passed through the CFC. So it will take less time to cool the WHOLE batch below the much cited 140F.

Also, depending on your setup, you can "whirlpool" during recirc, to help keep the stuff in the center so you can avoid it when you empty the BK (if you so desire).

Lots of people do this if they have a pump, since it's practically the only extra device needed to start recirculating.

Also, I have to choke my CFC down to get the output below pitching temp. It doesn't take that much time to chill, but if I could keep the flow full open, I wouldn't have to be careful about stuff clogging it up at the choke point.

Recirculating would let me do this.

I haven't used my CFC in the summer, as I just made it in the fall. It's about 25', and I cool from boil to 65 in one pass. I just finished my keggle build, so I have a recirculation port at the top, but I haven't used it yet. I hope to do so today. I also use a hop spider to gather most of the sediment to keep it out of my pump.
I have read that the benefit of immersion chillers is that it allows the cold break proteins to precipitate to the bottom, and the CFC will carry it with the wort, so I wasn't sure if I should start recirculating. It would certainly take a little more time, but if it improves me clarity, I'd be up for it.

I do end up with more proteins in the fermentor now then when I used the IC. But... and I really hesitate to say this, but... I still use a secondary, proteins, yeast, sludge, whatever gets left back in the primary.

I swear, if anyone starts yapping about primary vs secondary I'll sneak over and pour vinegar in your conical.

Also, I have to choke my CFC down to get the output below pitching temp. It doesn't take that much time to chill, but if I could keep the flow full open, I wouldn't have to be careful about stuff clogging it up at the choke point.

Recirculating would let me do this.

I really struggle to this day with that. Damn choke points. I use those poly quick disconnects which I really do love, but they have a "cross" in the middle of the flow which really give me hell sometimes, esp when I use some of my whole leaf hops.

Snafu said:
I do end up with more proteins in the fermentor now then when I used the IC. But... and I really hesitate to say this, but... I still use a secondary, proteins, yeast, sludge, whatever gets left back in the primary.

I swear, if anyone starts yapping about primary vs secondary I'll sneak over and pour vinegar in your conical.

Hahaha. Yeah, ive just been experimenting with no secondary, haven't noticed much of a difference. I suppose that would work just fine. Cold crash for a few days, then keg/bottle.

I really struggle to this day with that. Damn choke points. I use those poly quick disconnects which I really do love, but they have a "cross" in the middle of the flow which really give me hell sometimes, esp when I use some of my whole leaf hops.

I've heard of using SS or Copper scrubby pads on the end of the dip tube to prevent larger particles from going through the CFC, and I even have some copper ones, but I've not tried it yet.

I've tried a couple of different hops screens instead and am still figuring out what I like the best. If I could remember that I have them I will try it out next time.

I can't see how it would take more time. You are going to remove heat at the same rate, approximately, in either case.

The thermal mass of the vessel makes a difference. 20 lbs of stainless (apx for a keggle) is nothing to ignore.

When you're draining to a carboy, the carboy is at room (or outside, depending where you brew) temperature and doesn't cause re-heating.

MC

The thermal mass of the vessel makes a difference. 20 lbs of stainless (apx for a keggle) is nothing to ignore.

When you're draining to a carboy, the carboy is at room (or outside, depending where you brew) temperature and doesn't cause re-heating.

MC

Good point and obviously one that I didn't consider.

I still think it's worth it to recirc when it's all said and done. And I only have a 25' chiller (IIRC).

The other nice thing about it is that you don't need to have it up as high to recirc with a pump, as opposed to a gravity fed method...

Back