Best Way to Clean up after Boil Over

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mosquitocontrol

Reaction score
So, any ideas on the best way to clean up after this.........

100_1679.jpg

Ohoh. I hope you're not married! ;)

Two things I've used have worked great. One is oxyclean. You mix it into a paste with a little warm water and use a nylon scrubbie (the kind that won't scratch) on it. The other thing that might help in that mess is Barkeeper's Friend. It's like Ajax or Comet, and works great on stuff like that.

I use Oxyclean and water to break up most gunk...what I do is fill a sink with some and toss in the elements, and drip trays in there with the hottest water/oxyckean I can make (even near boiling water if possible.)

Then anything not rememovable and soakable...I wet it down (sometimes with a spray bottle) and drop some oxyclean on the wet areas and make a thick paste...every now and then I spritz more water on it to keep the bubbles fizing to break stuff up..

I also find that a wet dry fine grade sanding sponge is pretty handy for elbow greasing off the stubborn stuff, better than a dish scrubby or kitchen tool :D...just apply light pressure so as not to scratch the surface metal..you want to take off the foreign matter and not the surface of the stove.

Then after awhile I elbow grease it.

Anything left I use one of these bad boys...

300_73861.gif

Actually if you don't mind burning through them (Like if you buy them bulk, even the generic brands) you can skip the oxyclean and use a couple of the magic erasers...The work great.

I think the best answer is QUICKLY! :D Seriously though, I usually use a scrubber that wont scratch and some Oxyclean. That and a handfull of elbow grease. :mug:

The easiest way to clean that, is to replace it before anyone else sees it. Lowes delivers on Saturday right? ;)

I had a boilover like that on my first extract batch, I got a bottle of Dawn Power Dissolver in the dishsoap aisle, it did wonders. There is still a faint discoloration where it was, but my stove is white.

Oh, if wifey doesn't ban you from brewing in the kitchen in the future, get some fermcap s foam control drops..

5987.jpg

Add 2 drops per/gallon of wort and you can fill your pot to under an inch from the top, get a full volume boil going and take a nap (or surf HBT) between hop additions...I use it in both my stove top brewing and in my 7.5 gallon turkey fryer..

I never have a boilover unless I forget to use it now...

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately I couldn't get it a thick layer off, but its cleaner than the right side which is only used for cooking.

And yes, fiance saw it and wanted it cleaned up immediately. Its a good thing he enjoys the final outcome of unlimited cases of beer. Or else I don't know what would happen.

Looks like a full day will be needed to scrub the stove when its finally time to move out of the apartment. At least I can put it off.

Just wanted to add my 2 cents after reading this post. I didn't have so much as a boil over as I did a splash over from stirring to hard, but a small amount of wort sat on the stove during the whole 60 min boil. It was pretty much concrete. Tried oxiclean and baking powder and neither worked. But, Magic Eraser took it off no problem!! +1 for the magic eraser.

I've used simple green. I've only ever had a boil over while making a starter, though.

Simple Green + 5 minute soak = clean stove.

Fresh, Clean razors to get off the last bits. Go slow and easy.

Revvy said:
I use Oxyclean and water to break up most gunk...what I do is fill a sink with some and toss in the elements, and drip trays in there with the hottest water/oxyckean I can make (even near boiling water if possible.)

Then anything not rememovable and soakable...I wet it down (sometimes with a spray bottle) and drop some oxyclean on the wet areas and make a thick paste...every now and then I spritz more water on it to keep the bubbles fizing to break stuff up..

I also find that a wet dry fine grade sanding sponge is pretty handy for elbow greasing off the stubborn stuff, better than a dish scrubby or kitchen tool :D...just apply light pressure so as not to scratch the surface metal..you want to take off the foreign matter and not the surface of the stove.

Then after awhile I elbow grease it.

Anything left I use one of these bad boys...

Actually if you don't mind burning through them (Like if you buy them bulk, even the generic brands) you can skip the oxyclean and use a couple of the magic erasers...The work great.

+1

Magic eraser practically melted the burnt sugars off. Cleaner than I started.

Back