Best way to attach drip tray

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fighthouse

Reaction score
I am still putting the finishing touches on my keezer, and I recently received the 19" drip tray from barproducts.com. I tried to attach it using a couple of metal L brackets, and some industrial strength velcro pads. This works alright, but the drip tray sags away from the keezer because of the weight of the tray being too much for the velcro. I've heard people using magnets and such to attach their drip trays - how did you all attach yours?

After scuffing both the keezer attachment point and the back of the L bracket with a little sandpaper, I used a 1 minute epoxy to attach them. The tray has a little velco just to keep it from sliding off the brackets.

I will be using hard drive magnets epoxied to the back of my drip tray. 2 should be more than enough to hold it up, but I will use 3 for balancing reasons.

I'm using three magnets from a dead hard drive. So far it seems to be able to hold over a pint of spilled beer. And it's pretty darn tough to get it off the fridge door too!

Here is what I made for another member here. The drill is about 7.5 lbs or more and the brackets are being held on by magnets only so they can be moved and no modification to the freeze is needed. It took about 2-3 hours to make the brackets it’s the finishing that takes the most time.

4ccf026e.jpg

fc808301.jpg

I glued a length of 1 x 3 wood to the freezer using Gorilla Glue. I finished the wood to match the collar. Then it was just a matter of putting a couple screws into the wood to hang the back splash/drip tray from.

This isn't a very good pic, but you can see a portion of the wood and drip tray at the bottom right to get the idea:

4187313347_c089ea8e64.jpg

I scuffed up the paint on the freezer with some sandpaper before gluing on the wooden peice.

I'm using a few nickel sized rare earth magnets and decorative shelf L brackets to hold up the tray.

Thanks for all the input. I like the idea of using magnets the most, as they seem pretty strong and can be moved around as needed with no modification to the freezer. I've been to http://www.rare-earth-magnets.com/, but I am not sure exactly which magnet would work best and be strong enough to hold up the drip tray.

I also heard someone mention that hard drive magnets work fine. I have one at home that is pretty much a paperweight, maybe I'll take it apart and see how well those magnets work.

I had a couple of those 90 degree welding magnets lying around. Put two underneath each tray and they hold the trays like a champ.

Thanks for all the input. I like the idea of using magnets the most, as they seem pretty strong and can be moved around as needed with no modification to the freezer. I've been to http://www.rare-earth-magnets.com/, but I am not sure exactly which magnet would work best and be strong enough to hold up the drip tray.

I also heard someone mention that hard drive magnets work fine. I have one at home that is pretty much a paperweight, maybe I'll take it apart and see how well those magnets work.

Hard drive magnets are rare-earth neodymium, work just as well as what you would buy. Take the drive apart, At the pivot end of the arm that reads data, you'll find two magnets about 1" long with about a 30" arc.

Back