Best way to add cinnamon and nutmeg to a cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeeGeeBrew

Reaction score
I'm looking to make a batch of apple cider, but I want to add some nutmeg and cinnamon to it. There are so many reciepes out there I'm kind of lost. I just want to do a simple cheap hard cider with some spice influence. I plan to back sweeten with some artificial sweetner, not super sweet but a mild sweetness so I can actually get my wife to drink it.

Should I put the cinnamon sticks right in the fermentor like a dry hop for the last few days? Make a solution and add a test amount to each bottle to try then scale up for the whole batch?

Either of those would work. When I add spice, I tend to make a tincture by soaking the spice in a jar of vodka for a few weeks, then adding it at bottling/kegging. You don't even have to do the scale up calculations - add a little to the whole batch, gently stir (there's some risk of oxidation here, but if you're gentle it should be fine), and taste. Add more until you're satisfied.

Back