best water test?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimlin

Reaction score
I've been brewing for almost 3 years, most of which has been all-grain via Denny Conn's cooler-tun/batch sparging method.

I have private well water here on the MA/NH border. I know we had a basic test done when we bought the house 10 yrs ago, but I've never had a brewing water test done. Where can I get this done?

I believe my water tends to be a bit soft. We do not run any filters other than using Brita type things for drinking water. We at times get a sulfur smell from our water, but it always dissipates when brita filtered.

Out our pure paranoia, I use our Brita pitcher and 1+ gallon brita dispenser to filter all my brewing water, which, as you can imagine, takes a ridiculous amount of time.

Thinking about something like this water filter kit that MoreBeer lists, but I assume I need to KNOW my water before making any decisions.

All you need is the W-6 test. If you have your own water-tight plastic container, you won't have to get the complete service. You can just send in a sample and pay $21. If you are busy, the complete service may be worth it to you.

so far i am less then impressed with ward labs. it took 2 weeks for my kit to arrive. i sent it back 10 days ago and have yet to hear anything from them. i highly doubt this is all the post office's fault.

Back