Best tubing size to use with CFC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

butterblum

Reaction score
I am planning on slowly upgrading my brewing rig. The next step is to add a pump so I can more easily chill my beer and whirlpool - for both leaving trub behind and more easily adding whirlpool hops.
If I remember correctly, my CFC copper tubing is 3/8" OD and 1/4" ID:
I am assuming that it is fine to use 1/2" ID hose going to the inlet of the chiller, but I would think you would want to go with an ID smaller than 1/2" at the outlet of the chiller.
Is 3/8" ID silicone tubing the best bet from the outlet of the CFC to the whirlpool inlet?
I am planning on using the SS Brewtech fitting for this (https://www.morebeer.com/products/ss-brewtech-whirlpool-fitting-12-mpt.html)
Thanks!

Normally the whirlpool is performed in the kettle at the end of the boil. It's purpose is to separate out the hot break and hop residue.

It also means less sanitation because the equipment is moving very hot wort.

I'm not familiar with a cold side whirlpool. I suppose it would act to separate out cold break...

3/8" soft copper tubing is .311" ID. That is the size copper I used in the CFC that i made. I use 1/2" silicone tubing between pump and CFC 3.5' and 4' between CFC and whirlpool arm. The flow will be reduced by forcing it through smaller tube. My pump measured out at 1.1 gpm after 21' CFC and its output is rated 5 gpm.

3/8" soft copper tubing is .311" ID. That is the size copper I used in the CFC that i made. I use 1/2" silicone tubing between pump and CFC 3.5' and 4' between CFC and whirlpool arm. The flow will be reduced by forcing it through smaller tube. My pump measured out at 1.1 gpm after 21' CFC and its output is rated 5 gpm.
Thanks,
I tested my pump for the first time last night - I believe my copper tubing has a thicker wall, so the ID is 0.25". The chiller works fine, so I don't plan on buying or building a new one, but I definitely cannot leave it inline when I whirlpool because of how much it restricts flow.

Even at 1.1 gpm I still get good results from whirlpool. I generally whirlpool for at least 1/2 hr and I get a cone of trub and hops in the middle of the kettle.

Back