best place to get rhizomes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thedude00

Reaction score
Going to grow some hops this year. Where is the best place to get some rhizomes lots of place has them for pre order but where would be the best

check out great lakes hops. they sell plant starts and crowns. The crowns are hops plants that already have 1 year growing season under their belt. rhizomes don't typically produce much the first year and sometimes don't grow. I got 16 cascade rhizomes online last year, only 12 sprouted, I harvested 4oz of wet hops total. So after lots of research i'm going with crowns this year

i like great lake hops (https://www.facebook.com/GreatLakesHops) because they sell crowns. a rhizome will take 2-3 years to set down roots properly and really start producing, whereas crowns have a head start and should hit full stride 1 or 2 years sooner. crowns are more expensive than rhizomes, but i'm impatient and time is money :)

you beat me to it

fwiw, I wouldn't sell first year crops from rhizomes short, sometimes you can slay the conventional wisdom. I bought rhizomes from Midwest last spring, four each of Centennial, Cascade and Chinook. All twelve grew well, and nine in particular went totally nuts. Between two pickings they produced 5 pounds (wet weight) of surprisingly good hops - the Chinook made for great bittering, and I used the Centennial and Cascade for not only late additions but for dry hopping as well...

Cheers!

Dave, from freshops.com/ , said he was starting to dig rhizomes earlier in the week. It's nice to get the plant material from the folks who dig from the ground. That's opposed to getting it from the businesses that they sell to. Why chance poor handling/storage in the interim?

I second the Thyme Garden, as long as you get quality rhizomes (which Thyme Garden always has) then you really aren't any further ahead with a 'crown' -- you could buy 2 rhizomes for the price of a crown in most cases. My rhizomes have always produced at least a half crop the first year -- more than I could ever use..just my .02.

Thyme garden sells rhizomes and rooted cuttings, which are rhizomes grown out for a year and then dug back up and sold. I ordered some hops for this year and got a rhizome and a couple rooted cuttings in hopes it will improve my chances the plants will survive the first summer and maybe even produce some cones.

I have a great deal going on rhizomes right now, check it out on facebook or my thread.

Order 6 hop starts from great lakes hops. Guys over there are great been emailing with them for the last couple day and any question i had " from hops, soil, area to grow, an so on. Answered everything a ask fast. For sure be going to order from them again

I’ve ordered from Thyme Garden in the past and have always got good rhizomes. I decided to spend the few extra bucks and preorder some of their rooted cuttings this year.

Going to grow some hops this year. Where is the best place to get some rhizomes lots of place has them for pre order but where would be the best

I recently did business with Great Lakes Hops in Zeeland Michigan. Prior to my visit to their place, I thought the only place to buy was in the Pacific Northwest. This guy really knows his stuff and has good stock.

I ordered from RNV Enterprises. Paid $2.60 for 22 rhizomes. They start off at $3 and get better as your quantity goes up.

dave, from freshops.com/ , said he was starting to dig rhizomes earlier in the week. It's nice to get the plant material from the folks who dig from the ground. That's opposed to getting it from the businesses that they sell to. Why chance poor handling/storage in the interim?

+1

fwiw, I wouldn't sell first year crops from rhizomes short, sometimes you can slay the conventional wisdom. I bought rhizomes from Midwest last spring, four each of Centennial, Cascade and Chinook. All twelve grew well, and nine in particular went totally nuts. Between two pickings they produced 5 pounds (wet weight) of surprisingly good hops - the Chinook made for great bittering, and I used the Centennial and Cascade for not only late additions but for dry hopping as well...

Cheers!

I grew ten variety between Marlborough and Worcester. The best performers in the group were Spalt Select, Santiam, and Perle. They outperformed Cascade by leaps and bounds.

The only remedy I had against the Japanese Beetles was applying milky spore to the soil. Twice the first-year in the immediate vicinity and then broadcasting it generally throughout the grassy areas over the years.

Neem oil applied to leaves also helps from what I understand but I did not know about it at the time.

Getting rid of moles is easy... drink plenty of beer and coffee and when digested dispose the contents of the bladder into the soil.

Well they send you a plant already growing, I got 4 different hops 3 weeks ago and there already 2 feet high, I believe you have to plant the rhizome and hope for the best

Right on! I didn't understand where you were coming from when you used the term "seeded". I was thinking in a different direction. Rhizomes and plants are a little different but you pretty much end up with the same thing in a year or two. There's another guy on the forum that sells quality plants but I can't find the info right now. Do a search for 'hop plants' and I'm sure something will come up. Heard great reviews from them. Hop On!

I just cut some rhizomes for a friend of mine that wants to grow hops this year. You will never find rhizomes that big and healthy from a retailer! I cut a root ball from my Cascade plant that was the size of a softball with tons of roots and a few buds showing.

Ask around among your brewing friends and see if they'd be willing to cut some for you. If you're a member of a homebrew club ask around there, too. There are certainly drawbacks to this approach (limited varieties, etc.) but on the upside you'll get fresher, healthier rhizomes!

Ask around among your brewing friends and see if they'd be willing to cut some for you. If you're a member of a homebrew club ask around there, too. There are certainly drawbacks to this approach (limited varieties, etc.) but on the upside you'll get fresher, healthier rhizomes!
the other advantage is that you're getting a cutting from a plant that has already spent a few years growing in your region, as opposed to something from the other side of the country. local adaptation ftw!

Back