Best place in the twin cities...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swem

Reaction score
To pick up local and regional craft beers. Looking for bombers and such. Checking out town hall for some taps tomorrow. Tried to go to surly today but they are closed Sundays :(

There is a place called "blue" something on the SW side (west of the airport) that had the best bottle selection I've ever seen. The owner would disappear into the basement, and come back with amazing things.

I wish I could remember- maybe some of the local folks in MN/StP will know what I mean!

There is a place called "blue" something on the SW side (west of the airport) that had the best bottle selection I've ever seen. The owner would disappear into the basement, and come back with amazing things.

I wish I could remember- maybe some of the local folks in MN/StP will know what I mean!

There's a "Blue Max" liquors, but that's in Burnsville, south of the airport.

Blue Max is great.

If you're willing to hit up the 'burbs, Heritage Liquor in Maplewood is amazing, too. It doesn't look like much from the outside, but I'd trade a kidney to get locked in their cellar over a long weekend.

MaxStout said:
Four Firkins in St. Louis Park, and Surdyk's in Nordeast (across the river from downtown Mpls).

I'd say hit up the above two places. Two of the best run places in town.

If you want to pick up a growler stop by Fulton in downtown near the twins stadium and grab some sweet child of vine.

Damn. I forget how firmly awesome the Twin Cities are when it comes to beer.

My FAVORITE way to spend two hours- go early to Town Hall and get a pint or two, and grab something to eat. Then, during happy hour, walk across the street to Republic. I think I paid $2/pint for awesome craft beer during happy hour! (or, do it in reverse, but don't miss either one!)

By the college, I like Stubb & Herb's for tap beer and good bar food. I actually bumped into Omar Ansari there once (owner of Surly) and had a beer with him as I hadn't seen him in a while.

I'd skip Rock Bottom, Barley John's (deteriorated over the last couple of years), and Summit's tap room unless you LOVE Summit beyond reason. I'd skip Herkimer's also, unless you were at Northern Brewer and were needing a beer. (It's close by).

If you are there on a Saturday, get early to Surly and do a brewery tour. It's a must, if you can get there early enough to get in.

Northeast Brewery Tour is always a good way to spend an afternoon..Dangerous Man to Indeed to 612Brew to Northgate..I'd also stop at Grumpy's NE

Awesome..done this 2 or 3 times..

There are some places that have great tap lists, and food as well. If you have a car, the Muddy Pig (in St. Paul) is great. Also, don't miss the Happy Gnome (again, St. Paul), which has great food and taps.

If you are in the Northern burbs stop in at the cities newest brewery and tap room, Hammerheart Brewing in Lino Lakes. These guys have only been open a few months but they are putting some very nice beers. Worth a stop.

I'll add another vote for the Four Firkins in St. Louis Park. And as long as you're there, about a mile away is Steel Toe Brewery. They have a taproom with some great beers. Check their hours first though, to make sure they're open.

Four Firkins and the Happy Gnome. Best places to get beer here that I know of. Lift Bridge is also a great local brewery.

Lift Bridge is great and lots of wonderful places to drink and eat down by the river, but it's a bit of a haul out to the brewery in Stillwater...delicious on tap in the city though

Four Firkins +1

Dangerous Man+1

Also check out Lucid brewery if going on 494.

I forgot how nice is was to purchase beer from a grocery and on sundays until I moved here.

I forgot how nice is was to purchase beer from a grocery and on sundays until I moved here.

Yeah, Minnesota has a history of being prudish about alcohol. It is, after all, the state that brought us Prohibition (courtesy of a Congresscritter named Volstead).

If you want a study in contrasts, this Star-Tribune article points out a few things Wisconsin does that we don't.

I have relatives in S.D., and visit several times a year. I like to stock up on distilled spirits there, as the prices in the supermarkets are considerably less than in liquor stores here.

Latest posts

Back