Best methods for aerating wort before yeast pitching...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony_Lopez

Reaction score
I started a thread on the equipment page, and all it got me was an argument over best aeration methods.

I have come here to try and avoid the responses of people that think its their way or the highway.

I was planning on making an aerating wand tomorrow for this weekends brew session using an aquarium pump, some copper tubing, and a SS air difuser with a HEPA filter inline.

What is the BEST method for aeration of the wort prior to the yeast pitch?
- I'd appreciate that if you do respond, could you tell me your method as well as why it works the best...

Basically all you are going to get on this issue is differing opinions. I don't know if you have seen this thread yet, but it addresses some of the science behind aeration, and still has debates over which methods are the best.

I highly suggest that you chose the method that is within your budget and comfort level and stick with it. I'm still aerating by just pouring and shaking and my beer turns out fine.

Aside from aeration wands or the like, all aeration methods will yield EXACTLY the same level of O2 in your wort, if done long enough. Two mins of vigorously shaking the carboy = 5 - 10 mins with a pump and aeration stone = 1 - 2 mins of vigorous stirring with a mixer on a drill, etc. etc., etc. The limit for all these methods is about 8 ppm of O2, which is the atmospheric concentration of O2 in the air.

So just pick the one that you would most rather do.

Or get an oxygenation system and pump in as much O2 as you like in seconds (that's my preferred method).

Did you not go to the Wyeast website and read the article on oxygenation? The phrase 'best' has nothing to do with it. Look at the numbers and look at what you are about to do.

BeatDeadHorse.gif

I think one open thread on this issue is enough for one day!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back