Best IPA recipe for first time brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beervoid

Hophead & Pellet Rubber
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I've just finished collecting my brew equipment and would like to start my first brew with a fruity New Zealand style IPA since those are one of my favorites. I will be doing a 20 liter batch.

For hops i'm thinking Galaxy, Pacific Gem, Nelson Sauvin, Wai-ti, Wakatu...

For yeasts I read good things about WLP023 Burton Ale or WLP648 Brettanomyces Bruxellensis Trois Vrai to accentuate fruityness.. these are however not NZ yeasts and I would like to stick to NZ ingredients only so any yeast recommendation would be welcome.

Are there any yeasts I should avoid to brew with for beginners?
Would it be better to keep things simple and go for a single hop IPA?
Is there any recipe out there that you can recommend?

Thank you for helping out and best wishes for all.

Personally, I would buy a couple of recipe kits before you start working with individual ingredients. The kits will give you valuable experience in brewing. I saw it somewhere else here on the boards; don't expect to hit the jackpot with your first brew. Also, don't spend time trying to make your first brew the perfect one.

For me, homebrewing is learning from mistakes and getting better each time. I did things wrong early on and fixed those mistakes. Then I made some more and fixed those. Your first brew will be littered with mistakes. It's not a judgement of you and your skills, it's just the way it is. You need to learn your equipment especially. Your stove, your kettles, etc.

It's just my opinion, but when you first start out, you should spend your brain power on the process, not the ingredients or the recipe. Once the process is (mostly) pefected, then you can tweak recipes and make your perfect beer.

Again, just my opinion. As for which kits to brew, most homebrew supply shops/websites have a large selection with a wide variety of styles. If you want to try to make your own recipe, use brewing software like Brewer's Friend or Beersmith which will guide you as you add ingredients.

And, of course, stick around here for great advice from brewers that are way more experienced than I.

VG:rockin:

I'd have to agree with violinguy (awesome that there's another violinist around here besides me!)

Do a couple of recipe kits first. They really help. I did 4 kits before I did my first "own recipe", and it was still not that great. Probably because I went for a home run instead of playing it safe with the recipe. There's so much of this that is experience based that you should definitely take it easy at first and get your brewing practices down to a science.

Kits help keep everything in the process in order and you can perfect how you do things (how you do the boil, sanitation, etc.). It took me a few times to get good sanitation habits and to get a more efficient boil. I didn't hit my target OG on a brew until my 9th or 10th brew. Which is crazy to me.

Anyway, you'll find a good kit for what you want, I'm sure of it. :) And like violinguy said, these forums are a big help so keep perusing them!

+1 to what these folks have said.

I'd also add that whatever you do, I wouldn't start your brewing career with Brettanomyces. It's not as though you won't be able to make beer, but it has its own considerations that are different from Saccharomyces (regular brewer's yeast strains). Plus, any plastic equipment that you have will be forever relegated to "Brett brewing" (it's good at sticking around, even with a thorough cleaning, and wreaking havoc on subsequent batches), meaning that if you want to make your second batch a standard Saccharomyces beer, you'll have to go buy new buckets/tubing/siphon/etc after only one batch!

For a first-timer, WLP644 would probably be a better choice than 648. 644 is Sach, but has some brett-like characteristics. It was thought to be Brett before they sequenced the genome.

It gives an amazing fruity aroma that compliments fruity hop flavors quite well, and in my experience, primary-ferments in a similar manner to US05.

I'm using it yet another IPA right now in a batch split between 644 and US-05, and they fermented in the same time and with similar krausen.

dump in a few oz of hops before fermentation is done, cold crash for a couple days after complete, and then package it. Though I'm not familiar with all of the hops you listed, I would not use Nelson Sauvin in the whole batch unless you are already familiar with it (maybe split a small portion amount to 1-gallon jug and add Sauvin to that, to see -- some people are turned off by it, and it is a potent dry-hop.)

Northern Brewer has a nice IPA with NZ hops --Kiwi Express. Have a look at that recipe. It's basically 2-row with a little caramel 20, hopped with Nelson Motueka, and Wakatu. I really like it. They also have an extract version if you aren't doing all grain.

For yeast, I don't know of an specific NZ strains though there might be some. For dry yeast US-05 is a good choice. For liquid, Wyeast 1056, White Labs WLP001 or WLP 095 work great. Realize for a typical IPA 5 gallon batch you ideally need a starter or 2 packs of liquid yeast. There are a lot of ways you can go with a yeast -- the main thing is make sure you ferment in the temperature range for that yeast.

I'll have to agree with most posters in that Brettanomyces should be saved for use once you get some experience. New brewers are typically chomping at the bit to get a batch under their belt and sample some of their wares. Brett is a slowwww haul so that's best saved for later on.

Hops are not quite as technical unless you get into dry hopping which I'd suggest is not a good starting point either.

If you want to start basic to learn the process and timing, don't get too fancy. Maybe a nice easy going dry yeast like Safale US-05 is a good one to try. Heck I use it all the time as my go to yeast for lots of ales. After that maybe try a liquid yeast and build a starter.

Learn sanitation, get a feel for the basic process and get your feet wet with brewing 101.

I would do a simple grain bill of 2 row and about 10% wheat of your choice. I usually use red wheat for color and don't need any other grain for color or head.

To the hops, I do .5oz bittering as FWH and then 3oz FO and 3oz whirlpool. Stagger dry hop of 3oz each. Use what you know and like. For me I use 1oz of 3 different hops.

Yeast. 05, 1056, 001, 007, 009, notty, or your pick. I love 1318.

Wow guys thanks so much for the many responses. The kit idea sounds great but the problem is here up in South East Asia they are very costly and hard to find.
I hope I can find a step by step recipe of the NB Kiwi Express though it sounds good!

I will leave the Brett Trois yeast for now and go for the regularly available us05 dry yeast (my friend recommended it as well)

Thanks again!

Aim for 10.60 to 10.70 for gravity and keep the recipe simple one malt and 8 ounce of crystal 10 or 15 and then hop it as you please. But even with the hops just use 2 kinds. This will provide you with information of what you like or dont like.:mug:

Aim for 10.60 to 10.70 for gravity and keep the recipe simple one malt and 8 ounce of crystal 10 or 15 and then hop it as you please. But even with the hops just use 2 kinds. This will provide you with information of what you like or dont like.:mug:

Good call.

I use gold/light syrup and then caramel/crystal 40 for all my IPAs. Usually use Magnum for bittering, but just used Cascade for one and used Medusa (neomexicanus) as the aroma and dry hops. Can't wait to try it in a couple weeks.

I usually use red wheat for color and don't need any other grain for color or head.

I...feel very doubtful about this statement. Red wheat malt is not red in color. In fact, it is hardly any darker than 2-row, and is in fact lighter than many other base malts such as Vienna, mild malt, and even Maris Otter. (Briess' red wheat is 2.3*L).

Sorry to call you out on that, but since this thread is for giving advice to someone who has never brewed before, I don't think it's a good place to put misleading information.

The statement about wheat helping head retention is very true, though.

Personally, go simple. The best thing is to narrow down variables. Do not get fancy with yeast just yet

That is the best recipe. Don't go for any major objectives than a successful IPA. Simple malt bill, One or two hops, solid, dependable yeast with no attitude.

Get to know what your ingredients are doing. You may succeed with a good beer while going all out your first time with a complex brew, but you probably will not understand how it all fit together.

Try something like this. (Just making this up as I go)

11lb 2-row
.5 lb 40 L
.5 lb flaked oats

60 min - 1.0 oz Waimea

10 min - 1.0 oz Motueka, 0.5 oz Nelson Sauvin

Flame out (stand for 10 min after flameout) 1.0 oz Motueka, 1.0 oz Nelson Sauvin

Dry hop 5-days 2.0 oz Motueka, 1.5 oz Nelson Sauvin

Yeast - US-05

Yeast is simple and not NZ, but that is not the point. Probably not importing NZ malt either. WY1056 will be a good choice as well. It is the NZ hops you want.

Did not calculate ABV, but numbers look like between 6.0 and 6.5% depending on efficiency.

Should be plenty of punch for an IPA. The malt and yeast will stay out of the way and you will understand what the hops do.

Not saying to take this recipe, but the basic idea will allow you to appreciate the hops you want to use and you will better be able to manipulate them in recipes later on.

Last edited:
I...feel very doubtful about this statement. Red wheat malt is not red in color. In fact, it is hardly any darker than 2-row, and is in fact lighter than many other base malts such as Vienna, mild malt, and even Maris Otter. (Briess' red wheat is 2.3*L).

Sorry to call you out on that, but since this thread is for giving advice to someone who has never brewed before, I don't think it's a good place to put misleading information.

The statement about wheat helping head retention is very true, though.

You are correct about the color mostly. Bries red wheat at my LHBS is 3°L.

I am at fault that I use red wheat from a local maltster that I buy from my LHBS and is 8°L. @10% that gets me enough color.

At the same time I think the OP wants a beer that will taste good in a country that doesn't have the limitless varieties on the shelf that many of us in the states have a choice of.

I know you eat or drink first with your eyes then your nose and finally with your mouth. I have drank some great beer from a coffee cup bc it was cloudy but I guess now it should be?

Hey everyone, I decided to stick with the Northern Brewer Kiwi Express recipe.
But I came across some things.
First of all the recipe calls for a Malteurop 2 row pale ale malt which I can't get over here. After some research I found 2 substitutes.
Some say Maris Otter is a better flavoured malt but i'm suspecting the recipe calls for a light malt taste as the Malteurop seems one of the more lighter malts out there.
If this is the case the closest malt I could find would be a Pilsner Malt from Weyermann.

2nd thing, I've been reading about the hops involved, the original recipe calls for Nelson Sauvin, Motueka and Wakatu...
I would like to replace Wakatu 6.5 – 8.5% with Wai Iti 3.4% cause i'm aiming for a more fruity flavor.

I guess I will have to balance the recipe with a bit more bitterness since the Wai Iti is not as acidic.. adding more wai iti perhaps? other suggestions?

Thanks alot so far! Great forum this.

What do you think of this overal recipe any comments are welcome.

Hey everyone, I decided to stick with the Northern Brewer Kiwi Express recipe.
But I came across some things.
First of all the recipe calls for a Malteurop 2 row pale ale malt which I can't get over here. After some research I found 2 substitutes.
Some say Maris Otter is a better flavoured malt but i'm suspecting the recipe calls for a light malt taste as the Malteurop seems one of the more lighter malts out there.
If this is the case the closest malt I could find would be a Pilsner Malt from Weyermann.

2nd thing, I've been reading about the hops involved, the original recipe calls for Nelson Sauvin, Motueka and Wakatu...
I would like to replace Wakatu 6.5 – 8.5% with Wai Iti 3.4% cause i'm aiming for a more fruity flavor.

I guess I will have to balance the recipe with a bit more bitterness since the Wai Iti is not as acidic.. adding more wai iti perhaps? other suggestions?

Thanks alot so far! Great forum this.

What do you think of this overal recipe any comments are welcome.

Pils and Maris Otter would both actually be fine choices, although neither is exactly like "regular" 2-row. However, can you not find plain old Pale Malt Extract? That would be what you're looking for, and surely that's the most common extract available regardless of where you are in the world.

Wai Iti is hands down one of my favorite hops. I have been making a hoppy wheat with only Wai Iti for about a year and a half now, and it is always a huge hit, even with my BMC drinking and wine-loving-and-beer-hating in-laws. How you go about replacing the Wakatu with it will depend mostly on what the Wakatu is doing in there in the first place...
A) If it's a bittering addition, you definitely have to adjust for the alpha acid content.
B) If it's a late boil addition or flameout, you probably won't need to worry as much, as the isomerization of the alpha acids will be diminished and the subsequent contribution to IBU will be less, meaning that effect of the disparity in the AA content will be blunted, perhaps to the point of being unnoticeable.
C) If it's a dry hop addition, replace it at a 1-to-1 ratio, although you may also consider adding a bit more to compete with the very strong Nelson Sauvin.

EDIT: Just went and looked at the actual recipe. I'd sub out the 10 minute addition of Wakatu (2oz) for 3oz of Wai Iti. I'd sub the Wakatu in the dry hop for an equal amount of Wai Iti.

Technically not an IPA, but I would try the Zombie Dust clone that you can find the recipe for here on HBT. It was one of the first I did and it turned out amazeballs! Do listen to the sage advice above and focus on process and try to make it repeatable. This is almost certainly going to be hard to do, because most of us are constantly changing/adding equipment which changes the process and hopefully improves the end product.

Best of luck!

Thanks for the replies.
I have another ingredient problem.
Briess Caramel 20L is not available. I looked up a chart and found Weyermann Carared to be a subsittute.. any thoughts on this?
Perhaps a better replacement?

Thank you!

Though caramel malts can vary significantly depending on the maltster, you'll probably be fine to substitute any 20 lovibond caramel/crystal malt that you have access to. And yes, that includes Carared.

So I have to chose between
According to my supplier
Briess - Pale Ale Malt would be a good substitute..

Any suggestions of going for Briess Pale Ale Malt or weyermann pilsener to substitute the Malteurop 2 row?

Go with the Briess. That will be a shade or two closer to the Malteurop than the pilsen malt. However, either will work in a pinch.

Hi Jordan thanks for the help.
Wish I could virtually share my brew with all who helped out on this forum.. who knows one day when teleportation is a reality..
I'm stoked to see how this one turns out!

Back