Quantcast

Best hops to stock up on in bulk?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Surye

Reaction score
I've found buying hops from HD, I would be paying half as much per oz as my LHBS, so I wanted some good versitle hops that I could have on hand as stock. I was thinking Centennial and Cascade, but maybe there's another kind or two I should look at? Also, whole leaf or pellets for this purpose? I'm still new to brewing, and plan on brewing many different styles, so I don't have any upcoming recipes necissarily (just a few ideas). I like hoppy beers, though I try to vary my brewing for experience. Maybe Admiral or Magnum for a good stock bittering hop?

HenryHill

Reaction score
I loaded up on clean bittering hops, and my favorite C's. for aroma and DH.

I got a few light things for aroma, just for the he!! of it, too.

Freezeblade

Reaction score
I do mostly english styles, so I load up on Fuggles and EKGs, they can do just about anything english. For Belgian styles I do about everything with saaz

jsullivan02130

Reaction score
I've found I vastly prefer pellets for two reasons: I get much better alpha-acid isomerization and thus better and more easily calculated bittering, and they take up much less room in my freezer.

OP
Surye

Surye

Reaction score
We need much more info to give a good answer

What style of beers do you like

An APA takes much different hops than an ESB or an Alt
I like APA and IPAs, I would say I plan on playing with those recipes more then others.

Bob

Reaction score
That being the case, go with "C" hops - a high-alpha variety for bittering, and Cascades for flavor/aroma.

If you were looking to generalize more, I highly recommend Willamette. It's appropriate in American ales, being an American variety, but as a Fuggles derivative it's versatile enough to work quite well in English ales as well. It's a variety I always have in my freezer.

Cheers!

Bob

niquejim

Burrowing Owl Brewery
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
That being the case, go with "C" hops - a high-alpha variety for bittering, and Cascades for flavor/aroma.

If you were looking to generalize more, I highly recommend Willamette. It's appropriate in American ales, being an American variety, but as a Fuggles derivative it's versatile enough to work quite well in English ales as well. It's a variety I always have in my freezer.

Cheers!

Bob
Well said:D

Old John

Reaction score
I like Perle and Northern Brewer for Bittering.
I like Willamette, Tettnang, & Hallertau, for Aroma & Flavor.
It's just what I like for the beers I brew.

USM_Eagle

Reaction score

Cheers!

Bob
+1 to that I love Cascade and Willamette.
EKGs may not fit your style as well as those three but I seem to work them into a lot of recipes.

Latest posts