Best hops for IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No such thing as "the best"...

What type of IPA are we talking?

West coast?
English?
East coast?
NEIPA?

It all comes down to what you want in an IPA. I'm sure many will share their favorite hop bills if they know what your goal is.

No such thing as "the best"...

What type of IPA are we talking?

West coast?
English?
East coast?
NEIPA?

It all comes down to what you want in an IPA. I'm sure many will share their favorite hop bills if they know what your goal is.

Aiming for an IPA close to the taste of a Washington state brewery called aslin.
I believe the IPAs my son enjoys from that brewery ...

One is heavy in new Zealand hops
The other is a Mandarina Bavaria hops
but I don’t know a lot about hops varieties.

It looks like they use a lot of mosaic, citra and amarillo. Just so happens to be a few of my favorites.

As far as how much of each to use, that depends on your taste. I tend to use mosaic and amarillo liberally while I use citra sparingly (it can easily overpower just about anything)

My got to IPA lately has been roughly 3 parts mosaic to 1 part citra (late kettle and dry hops) with magnum as a 60 minute addition to get 50%ish of the ibu's.

honestly its what you like, if you want a fruit smash you in the face some English yeast, Idaho 7 and a huge late addition will do wonders also a big dry hop addition a day or two before you keg or bottle has worked great for me.

cashmere is one i have a pound of right now. i also like El Dorado mostly i like to buy stuff that isn't too mainstream because it becomes so expensive.

one i cant find much if is lotus if you like orange and vanilla in a beer buy this one.

Amarillo is probably one of my favorite hops . I use Magnum , Denali , lemon drop, Enigma , Citra , Azacca, Mosaic , Amarillo, Mandarin Bavaria and Galaxy .

I've used Summit , Centennial and Simcoe in a Red IPA . I dont think I'm a big fan of Simcoe .

There are soooo many hops out there to explore. Recently did a Coconut-lime ale with Sabro and Cashmere . Didn't turn out like I wanted . I think that one needs to be a milkshake IPA style .

I'm definitely gonna look for that Lotus because I love Vanilla Orange. Here's a Hop list . There are some not on this list though , but its a decent list .

http://www.hopslist.com/hops/

FWIW, the brewery Aslin is out of VA not Washington. That said, look up “new world hops varieties” those will be the most popular varieties in the style of ipa that brewery is known for producing

Citra mosiac Galaxy strata, Sabro, and Nelson just to name a few

Yeah, this is kind of like asking what the best topping for ice cream is. The answer is probably yes IPAs need hops, but the rest is to taste. Can you describe any of the flavors you like in the beers you are trying to come close to?

Amarillo is probably one of my favorite hops . I use Magnum , Denali , lemon drop, Enigma , Citra , Azacca, Mosaic , Amarillo, Mandarin Bavaria and Galaxy .

I've used Summit , Centennial and Simcoe in a Red IPA . I dont think I'm a big fan of Simcoe .

There are soooo many hops out there to explore. Recently did a Coconut-lime ale with Sabro and Cashmere . Didn't turn out like I wanted . I think that one needs to be a milkshake IPA style .

I'm definitely gonna look for that Lotus because I love Vanilla Orange. Here's a Hop list . There are some not on this list though , but its a decent list .

Had a ipa in a trip to California made with lotus 100% orange ice cream vibe.

Ah yes Amarillo is another one I have a pound of. Mosic is also good.

But hop list us dangerous haha I get so excited about some hops and go nuts and buy 5 pounds of hops.. .

Citra is definitely my favorite hop. I use it almost exclusively. However, i also like casade, mosaic, & chinook. It really depends on what flavor profile your looking for. Me, i love that juicy citrus flavor. ( Which is why i love citra hops) Chinook is also one of my favorites, because i like that piney, spicy favor as well.

The best hops for IPA's.. at least for me, are the ones that will grow in my back yard :) Chinook and Citra so far ..

Back