Best hops for dry hopping clear American IPAs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spivey24

Reaction score
Hi all, I need to put in an order of hops and wondering which hops people like for dry hopping American clear IPAs.
My gotos are amarillo, citra, and mosaic, and sometimes azzaca or Idaho 7. I used to do Galaxy but the last 2 lbs were unimpressive. I mostly order from Yakima hops but am open to other places.

Hi all, I need to put in an order of hops and wondering which hops people like for dry hopping American clear IPAs.
My gotos are amarillo, citra, and mosaic, and sometimes azzaca or Idaho 7. I used to do Galaxy but the last 2 lbs were unimpressive. I mostly order from Yakima hops but am open to other places.
Any hops you want. “Clear” ipa isn’t a style, just means someone use process/or finings to make it clear.

Are you looking American ipa that’s clear or a west coast ipa that tends to be clear? The biggest distinction between these would be ibus and mouthfeel, with west coast being more bitter and drier. There are some hops that tend to be used more so in one and not the other

Last edited:
Clear meaning not NE. Yes higher ibu maybe in the 80s or 90s, but not necessarily west coast. Just more of a standard american IPA.

Last edited:
Are you looking for Tropical IPA's (but not NEIPA style)? That's where I was at last summer. Besides the hops you mentioned, I also like Rakau and Ekuanot.

The hops don't matter as much as a grainbill with no wheat, oats, or lactose in the boil.
Do a real bittering addition, use a chico strain of yeast, and cold crash to death after dry hop.
NEIPAs are played out to death and I'm ready for the rest of the country to catch up with me!

I recently dry hopped with Cascade , Amarillo and Citra. No finings, just fermented at 65* conditioned at 45* for several weeks and then dropped to 35*. The haze is condensation on another brew day

I liked the blend of thre three with the cascade as bittering (love that grapefruit). All three at flavoring. Amarillo and citra at whirlpool (10 min at 165*) and all three again at dry hop, day 3 for 3 days.

My dry hops were In a mesh bag. The aroma has faded (to be expected, it’s been tapped for more than a month) and I have been upping my dry hops, I’m up to 2oz for a 2.5gal batch. Hardly NEIPA range but that equates to 4oz in a standard 5gal batch

obviously this is only anecdotal and my taste buds and schnoz are not yours, but I trust this helps.

BB12EC5B-B833-4F32-9F19-A6C6C5231BE5.jpeg

Are you looking for Tropical IPA's (but not NEIPA style)? That's where I was at last summer. Besides the hops you mentioned, I also like Rakau and Ekuanot.
Yea I do mostly tropical. Citrus or sometimes fruity is my go to, but always looking for something new.

Definitely try out a West Coast IPA which show cases bitter, grapefruit and piney resinous deliciousness!

Clear meaning not NE. Yes higher ibu maybe in the 80s or 90s, but not necessarily west coast. Just more of a standard american IPA.
I really enjoy chinook, cascade, and Citra together. Piney, floral, with great citrus character

When I was growing my own (mostly Chinook, Cascade and Centennial) my favorite IPA used a crap ton of all three.
I still do the same beer using bought hops. Chinook is probably my favorite C hop due to its awesome power :)

Cheers!

When I was growing my own (mostly Chinook, Cascade and Centennial) my favorite IPA used a crap ton of all three.
I still do the same beer using bought hops. Chinook is probably my favorite C hop due to its awesome power :)

Cheers!
I'm also team C-hop!
Never grown them, YET

Cheers!

i wasn’t a fan of Chinook in the boil or whirlpool. How is it for the dryhop?

Big time citrus/grapefruit with some pine. Good for post-lupulin shifters ;)

Cheers!
To piggy back off this, Chinook is a hop that has been proven to contain high levels of compounds that can be biotransformed into heavy citrus/lime

I've had the best luck with Simcoe/Centennial/Amarillo and Simcoe/Centennial/Citra for a more modern west coast IPA. Gotta love plain old Cascade/Centennial is a more old school, maltier IPA too.

Back