Best heat source to reach boil quickly

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Velnerj

Simul justus et potator
Reaction score
Hey folks,
One way I'm interested in improving my home brewery is by upping its heating game. It often takes 45-60 min to reach a boil (from mash temp) on my current (propane) system. If I can significantly cut that down I'd make my brew day a lot shorter.

I know that I could be using multiple heat elements, like heat sticks etc. But I'm interested to hear from you what single source heating element will bring 7 gallons of water (or wort) up to a boil the fastest? How long should it take?
Mind you I'm in Europe with 220v electric circuits as standard.

Thanks for the input.

Last edited:
How big is your kettle? An hour to boil from mash temperature sounds like it's a big and uninsulated one. I've got a 35 litre digiboil, takes me about 15 minutes to reach boil. It's a 2400 watt system but where I live we got 230 volt and I'm on 10amp so in reality I get something like 2250 watt. I also use a 2000 w heat stick if I'm in a hurry.

How big is your kettle? An hour to boil from mash temperature sounds like it's a big and uninsulated one.
It's a 40L kettle, so yes big and uninsulated. I'm afraid to insulate over an open flame.
To be honest I was hoping for someone to tell me a induction plate (or some other simple solution) would work wonders but the more I look into it I'm thinking the all in one models are the way to go.
I guess I could recover some costs by selling the used equipment.

I had 11 gallons of wort (post mash) in my BK yesterday. While I didn't time it getting to boil, I'm pretty sure it didn't take 40 minutes to get there. I'm using a 240v 5500watt element in my BK (same in my HLT). Having the element in the wort, IMO, helps get it to boil/temp faster/easier than using an induction plate, or such. Since having direct contact means better heat transfer (not going through at least two different items before getting to the wort).

I'm [planning on] brewing again tomorrow. I'll try to remember to time it from when I start the BK element to when I hit boil.

From what I understand, European 220v is quite common but the circuit sizes are relatively small and usually 15 amps (just like the American 120v common circuits). If that's true and you can't have a 30 amp circuit installed, you'd be better off with a pair of 3000 watt elements. They would draw just under 15 amps each.

To be honest I was hoping for someone to tell me a induction plate (or some other simple solution) would work wonders
I like using the induction plate, but it's "only" 3500W (240V, ~15A). Great for 5.5 gallon batches, but for larger batches it takes a bit more time than I would like. 5500W induction plates are much more pricey, so that's out.

I do have a 5500W ripple element in a keggle, on a simple voltage controller (no PID), so I can get quite a bit more oomph that way for those larger batches. It makes a difference, yes.

I often use insulation around the kettle (and keggle) and on top of the lid to reduce heat loss. Since there's no open flame or hot glowing element, it's easy and safe.

Back