Best fittings for gravity-fed plate chiller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blacksquid

Reaction score
Sooooo I wanna upgrade my IC after it took almost 40 minutes to chill down my last 10 gal. batch of IPA to 75F (and upgraded to a valve+dip tube) but after literally reading through ALL of the threads on fittings, I'm still at a loss as to which would be the best and cheapest for a gravity-fed setup with a B3-23A 30 plate chiller from duda diesel.

I'm still on a turkey fryer and use a keggle with a SS valve and dip tube and while I definitely love camlocks QDs, I don't really care to have to deal with more silicone rings. I'll upgrade to a single tier setup eventually...

If I go for barbs, why not just go for the cheaper (through brewhardware) welded barbs?

If they have flow issues, since it's gravity fed, could I just stretch the silicone tubing directly on the 1/2" NPT fittings of the chiller itself?

I don't mind going for camlocks if they're worth the 200% price increase. I guess it's only 20-40$ more buuuuut I'm kinda strapped on cash right now.

Guess that was long, eh? :D

When you use your IC, do you periodically stir the wort? That will make a big difference in cooling time.

Back