Best false bottom setup?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlsonderek

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm looking into a new kettle and I'll prolly install stuff myself like false bottom/ball valve/brewmometer to save money.

I'd like to know what hardware and setups people use for false bottoms and transferring to the fermenter with minimal break material and hop matter. I use an immersion chiller so once chilled I usually siphon right to the glass carboy. Instead of siphoning, what false bottom/valve combos work best for you to drain the boil kettle?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I don't have a false bottom in my boil kettle, just in my cooler tun.
I guess I do not understand the advantage of having a FB in my kettle.

My boil kettle has a standard valve setup and a 90 degree elbow fitting inside that is turned down so that it sits about 1/8" off the bottom of my kettle.
It drains and leaves about 2 cups of wort and some trub in my kettle.
This of course means that most break material and trub gets transferred too.
I have a mesh strainer that I use to catch most before going into fermenter but again it is not harmful to put it in the fermenter. I only do it because it makes yeast washing easier.

And on a related topic of kettle modifications, check out the thread on here about etching the volume markings inside your kettle. I think it's under the brew science sub topic. Simple and effectve!
I did a test run on an older kettle that I have and plan on doing it to my big kettle today after brew day is done.
Edit: I found the link in the DIY section.

Thanks brewkinger. I recent purchased a few of those new Big Mouth Bubblers which are, as advertised, awesome for getting things in and out of so cause the opening is huge. I have been considering doing what you do and just catching the trub that flows from the kettle into the fermenter in a nylon paint straining bag. Would save a lot of dough on a false bottom since they aren't cheap! For someone who lives paycheck to paycheck I picked the wrong hobby. Or maybe this hobby is the reason I live paycheck to paycheck...damn.

Latest posts

Back