Best Dry Yeast ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrSpeed

Reaction score
Hello,
New to the forum. I haven't brewed for well over 6 years but I have close to 60 batches under my belt and had moved on to all grain brews.

Anyways back in the day there weren't many good dry yeasts. Has that changed lately ? There seem to be a few brands I don't remember.

I'm trying to "ease" back into thing and will be going to LHBS for a pale ale extract kit. I used to like the ease of using dry yeats by just sprinkling it in. Dry yeast always seemed more active. I did use many Wyeast smack packs with and without starter.

I also see White Labs pitchable.

I 'm trying to keep this "welcome back" pale ale batch simple.

Any thoughts ?

Welcome to the forum.

The only dry yeast I like is Safale S-04. It works well for the English style ales that I brew, but there may be better varieties for American styles.

I love the White Labs WLP002, and I've never heard anything bad about any of their other yeasts.

-a.

I have used US-56 and S-04, and Windsor in this last batch. It's too early to tell anything about the Windsor batch, but it fermented FAST.

US-56 is pretty clean and neutral, S-04 seems to leave the beer not quite as dry as US-56.

Buford said:
I have used US-56 and S-04, and Windsor in this last batch. It's too early to tell anything about the Windsor batch, but it fermented FAST.

I used Windsor in my last batch for the first time, too. Ten minutes ago, I was in the basement thinking - hmmmmm...... that was quick. Seems to be dead-quiet on the fermentation front. I'm hoping it doesn't attenuate quite as well as some of the others.

Cool. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll keeep my eye out for US-56 or Nottingham. They both sound like what I am looking for.

lol, sonvolt. I do agree Nottingham is a great general all purpose yeast. Also, anything put out by Fermentis is in general exceptional imo so I second the 56.

MrSpeed said:
...but I have close to 60 batches under my belt...

My god man...your waist must be HUGE!!!!!

:D

Anyway, enough of that...Like everyone is saying so far, SafaleUS-56, Nottingham and Windsor are great yeasts. But so are White Labs, and another one is Wyeast. So, you have many, many good choices to pick from.

Good luck, and welcome back to brewing!

the_bird said:
I used Windsor in my last batch for the first time, too. Ten minutes ago, I was in the basement thinking - hmmmmm...... that was quick. Seems to be dead-quiet on the fermentation front. I'm hoping it doesn't attenuate quite as well as some of the others.

I pitched it Saturday night at about 80 degrees and let the fermenter cool down in a water bath overnight, wanting to not thermally shock the rehydrated yeast and give it a good start before CO2 production kicked in. Next morning it had gotten going and was at 66 degrees. It picked up to 68 over the course of the day and bubbled like crazy all day. On Monday it was very quiet and has been pretty silent since. Hopefully the high initial temp didn't throw bananas in there but it should have been cool enough by the time it really got started given the rate of cool-down.

I'm also hoping for lower attenuation.

Chimone said:
rumor has it US-56 is changing their name. I guess WYeast didnt like the 56

I saw that in either the NB or Williams catalogue, but when I went to NB's and morebeer's website, both are backordered but still had US-56 listed.

I've never known - is it a dried version of the same strain, or different?

Oh yeah look at that. Hrm. I thought there was something strange last time I looked. hehe. I actually think the packs I recently got have 56 on them.

MrSpeed said:
Hello,

I'm trying to "ease" back into thing and will be going to LHBS for a pale ale extract kit. I used to like the ease of using dry yeats by just sprinkling it in.

I 'm trying to keep this "welcome back" pale ale batch simple.

Any thoughts ?

I've thought of using this yeast, "Munton's Premium Gold", for simplicity. I'm making a batch for a my soon to be BIL.

http://www.muntons.com/homebeer/other-products/misc_premium_yeast.asp

I thought the firm jelly-like sedimentation would be good for the newbies who might be drinking the stuff. The "oh - Sh@t" after pouring the yeast into the glass comes to mind.

Not mention if you are doing just a primary, this type would keep the sediment in the fermentor and the bottom of the bottle.

Do any of you gents have any experience with this yeast type?

I think the Munton's packs are 6 grams. I would use 2 for a 5 gallon batch. That should give a proper amount of yeast.

the_bird said:
If it works as well as they claim, won't that make cleaning out the bottles afterwards more of a PITA?

Yes, you're right to a point, however I always use a jet bottle washer with the hottest water possible. It'll bust any yeast cake loose.

I'm gonna try it. What the hell.

If its as good as they say I'm surprised this isn't a recomendation for beginners who only do primaries.

Back