best deal on equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wormraper

Reaction score
Ok, I've been away from the brewing scene for almost 3 years due to a severe illness that I'm slowly getting used to (chronic pain so I was kind of not exactly caring about drinking beer for a while). Anyways I had a Midwest supplies groupon deal for gear back then (still have it actually), but the plastic buckets have been sitting in the closet for almost 3 years and I don't feel comfortable using them in case of infection. same goes for bottling wand, tubing, valves etc. All my capping gear and potos and pans and whatnot are fine, but I remember getting a kick @SS deal on equipment (like $62 shipped) for a starter kit and a hefe kit back in the day (I've always been an extract brewer). Has anyone seen any really good deal on another starter kit that would get me back in the game? (I figured I COULD just piece out the stuff at the local brew shop, but the extra gear in a discounted starter kit would be handy and my jew gold nature is kicking in). Basically are there any groupons or sales on starter kits I should be looking at to rebuild my brewing equipment?

Your buckets should be fine, just fill them up with water and star sans, unless they major scratched. I see some starter sets online that often have too much stuff and not what you really need. If you are doing extract then about all you need fermenter bucket, bottling wand, Star Sans, racking cane, bottle capper, and a pot big enough for what you are doing. You could get a hydrometer if you want. If you are doing full boils, then check Home Depot or Lowes for turkey fryer set, that comes with a pot and burner for usually less than $100.

Your buckets should be fine, just fill them up with water and star sans, unless they major scratched. I see some starter sets online that often have too much stuff and not what you really need. If you are doing extract then about all you need fermenter bucket, bottling wand, Star Sans, racking cane, bottle capper, and a pot big enough for what you are doing. You could get a hydrometer if you want. If you are doing full boils, then check Home Depot or Lowes for turkey fryer set, that comes with a pot and burner for usually less than $100.

well, I had used them for 3 years BEFORE going on hiatus and they had gotten a few scratches in them and the wands, tubing etc had etched and lightly cracked after so much used. I have everything but the plastic... I was just looking for a basic starter kit go get me going like the old Midwest groupon etc. I have all my hydrometers, thermometers, bottling cappers, a ton of cap packages etc.... I've not brewed for so long that I'm going to be rusty as hell. Just need more brew buckets, air locks, bottling buckets, wand, racking cane, tubing, starsan/iodophor etc.....like I said I can get it all for about $60 or so but I was just double checking if there were any awesome "starter" kits that would rival that so I didn't have to drive all over town and rummaging through my brew shop's gear....

yeah, seems like it. Midwest has a basic kit for $49.99 + ship which seems to have a solid extract pale ale plus all the plastic I need to restart. may have to grab that

Back