Best Deal on a Keezer Setup?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m3n00b

Reaction score
So I'm going to convert my 15cf fermentation chamber into a keezer. I want to do 6-8 kegs. My LHBS has a keg starting kit with a full 10lb co2 cyl for $274 with 1 used ball lock. Seems like a lot. I wanted to start with one then add faucets and a 6 or 8 way co2 distributor later.

I'm in almost the exact same boat right now. I just finished getting all my starting basics and once I get used to kegging 1 I'll move up to multiple and build out my keezer. What I've found is getting everything all up front from kegconnections is by far the cheapest but if your like me getting all at once wasn't an option due to my learning curve and lack of funds.

With that said, I'd keep an eye on sales/Craigslist for your starting corny and Co2 tank. Look at the 1 or two tap setup from Kegconnection (all the kegging companies were about the same but Kegconnection just took it to the next level with their ability to customize each and every kit). Beverage elements has a decent deal on both kegs and co2 tanks right now but depends on whether you want new or used.

Hope this helps.

A few tips

Skip the cheap faucets like the ones in that kit and get Perlicks. The cheap ones get stuck shut if you don't pour a beer for a couple days. Stuck to the point that you can't open them without taking them off and cleaning them. Perlicks don't stick at all.

Some placed give you the option to upgrade the faucets in the kit.

More than one regulator is nice to have. But can easily be added later to save a few bucks up front.

A few tips

Skip the cheap faucets like the ones in that kit and get Perlicks. The cheap ones get stuck shut if you don't pour a beer for a couple days. Stuck to the point that you can't open them without taking them off and cleaning them. Perlicks don't stick at all.

Some placed give you the option to upgrade the faucets in the kit.

More than one regulator is nice to have. But can easily be added later to save a few bucks up front.

Thanks. I was going to get a dual body regulator and which perlicks do you recommend?

I bought a custom keg kit, from kegconnection.com, after searching for the best price around, and couldn't be happier. I called them, to create a custom kit, both times I've ordered, and payed them through paypal. Never any problem. The important stuff came assembled, and was easy to mount.

P.S. I upgraded to the Stainless Perlick faucets, after seeing how crappy other faucets are.

In addition, I bought a used 10# Co2 tank, off of craigslist, for 50 bucks because that was the best I could find. Co2 tanks, have to be shipped empty, so I just bought one nearby.

I was looking at the creamer faucets. They sound pretty cool. Can anyone explain a stout faucet to me?

m3n00b said:
I was looking at the creamer faucets. They sound pretty cool. Can anyone explain a stout faucet to me?
I did a little research on the 575 and while not many seem to hate them, most agree they aren't worth the upgrade and can cause just as many issues as they help fix. By opening a 525 slowly you essentially do the same thing that the 575 with a back push. The faucet causes more turbulence inside the head thereby releasing more co2 and causing a creamer (nitrogen like) head. If you open a 525 up ever so slowly and lightly, it will do the same thing. The downside is that the off position is in the middle for the 575 which means if you push it back too far it goes back on and can cause lots of spilling issues. But if you get the hang of it I'm sure it's easier than hitting the sweet spot on a 525 to get that creamy head.

Also, I just saw an ad, on homebrewfinds.com, for a Tap-Rite dual body regulator with free shipping, for around $80 bucks. It could save you $20 bucks, in the long run, but I've never ordered through kegerator.com. Seems legit...

Stout faucets have a restriction plate in them that creates the foamy head. They need more pressure and beer gas (co2 nitro mix) to pour properly.

If you're going to do 6-8 taps my guess is that you'll almost always have a stout of some form on tap. I don't have a stout faucet, but I know I'd drink more stout if I did have one. I love a good stout on nitro, but not so much on co2.

Its expensive though. Stout faucets are 65+ and a nitro tank and regulator are alteast another 150.

Stout faucets have a restriction plate in them that creates the foamy head. They need more pressure and beer gas (co2 nitro mix) to pour properly.

If you're going to do 6-8 taps my guess is that you'll almost always have a stout of some form on tap. I don't have a stout faucet, but I know I'd drink more stout if I did have one. I love a good stout on nitro, but not so much on co2.

Its expensive though. Stout faucets are 65+ and a nitro tank and regulator are alteast another 150.

I want to get an IIPA on nitro. Had it at a local brewery and it was one of the greatest experiences of my life LOL.

If you can hold off for a couple weeks, Keg Connection usually has a Black Friday/Cyber Monday sale. That's my tip for this thread.

Oh, and I'm one of the people that has never really had a problem with their Perlick 575's, but would not talk anyone into choosing them over the 525's. The creamer is there. I use it sometimes. I wouldn't miss it if it was gone.

So I'm about to order the four tap fridge setup modified with a dual body reg and 525s. Anyone know of coupon codes for kegconnection? I can't wait til black Friday. I need this finished by thxgiving. I'm off the whole week and that'll be the only time I can work on it. I'll add 2-3 nitro taps down the road.

Here's my cart $355:

4 Faucet Fridge Homebrew Kegerator Kit
Regul​ator ​and A​ir Sy​stems​ for ​4 Fau​cet K​its: Tapri​te Du​al Bo​dy Re​gulat​or (R​A24TD​) +$5​5.96
Homeb​rew D​iscon​nects​ for ​4 Fau​cet K​its: Ball ​Lock ​Disco​nnect​s for​ 4 Fa​ucet ​Kit (​DC203​-4...
Beer ​Line ​for 4​ Fauc​et Ki​ts: 20' o​f Bee​r Lin​e - 5​' per​ line​ (HO1​01-20​) Inc​lu...
Tailp​ieces​ - 4: Chrom​e Tai​lpiec​es (T​P316-​4) In​clude​d in ​Base ​Price
Shank​ Asse​mblie​s for​ 4 Fa​ucet ​Kits: 5 1/8​" Sta​inles​s Ste​el Sh​anks,​ Nuts​, Was​hers,​ a...
Fauce​t 1: Perli​ck 52​5PC F​orwar​d Sea​l Fau​cet (​FA204​-H) +​$1...
Fauce​t 2: Perli​ck 52​5PC F​orwar​d Sea​l Fau​cet (​FA204​-H) +​$8.00
Fauce​t 3: Perli​ck 52​5PC F​orwar​d Sea​l Fau​cet (​FA204​-H) +​$8.00
Fauce​t 4: Perli​ck 52​5PC F​orwar​d Sea​l Fau​cet (​FA204​-H) +​$8.00
CO2 C​ylind​ers: NO CO​2 Cyl​inder
Fauce​t Wre​nch: None

Can't speak from experience as I've only had my first keg setup for about 2 hours but I've read you want to start with about 11-12 ft per line and trim down as needed to balance your system. I upgraded my beer lines to 15ft for that very reason and from the initial draw I haven't had any issues with foam. Still early for me but just me experience and 2c

I would also add some length to tubing. I think I would add about 2-3 feet per faucet. The last item is the wrench, not sure if you're getting it, but it's useful. Your co2 will be empty, so you've gotta get that filled, or exchanged for a full tank.

Thanks guys. I'm getting a wrench and buying a full co2 locally. I'll up the line lengths.

Make sure to post pics of your keezer, there is too much build up here not to see the end result, haha. Good luck on the project.

Getting closer.

ForumRunner_20131122_164145.jpg

Latest posts

Back