Best commercial Octoberfest?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grizzly2378

Reaction score
Topic pretty well explains it...what are some of the best commercial examples of Octoberfest brews out there? For whatever reason, this is a style I haven't delved into much, looking for some good examples to try.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Ayinger is the best I've had. But hard to find for me, so Sam Adams is plentiful and good too.

I really like the Sam Adams version, plus it's $3 a pint at my favorite bar (even Dos Equis is $5). And yes, I realize it isn't stricly to style....

Weihenstephaner is my favorite that you are likely to find in South Dakota. I had the Highlands (Asheville, NC) Clawhammer this year and really enjoyed it. Rhinegeist in Cincinnati made is a really malty version that I thought was great. I can't remember the name of it and they don't list it on their website. I am also spoiled living in Cincinnati that we have a Hofbrauhaus and the Octoberfest they serve is the only beer that isn't brewed on site and is shipped over from Germany.

If you want the real thing (a Marzen), then Ayinger or Spatan. To me, Oktoberfest beers and Marzens aren't the same thing. Every year they seem to get further and further apart. For an Oktoberfest, Sam's is pretty good. For a real treat, fine Avery's Kaiser, an Imperial Oktoberfest.

Paulaner's is the best I've had although I've not had Spaten, Weihenstephaner, or Ayinger.

Imperial Oktoberfest???? That sounds good, I am going to try to find some of that!

The Delaware Saengerbund is holding its Oktoberfest this coming weekend and I will be drinking large quantities of whatever Oktoberfest beer they have, usually Paulaner's but sometimes Hacker-Pschorr!

I really dig Flying Dog's Marzen Dogtoberfest. Sam Adams isn't bad either. I just had Yuengling's Oktoberfest and it's also not bad for the money.
That Imperial Oktoberfest sounds awesome! I'm going to try and hunt one down.

I'm a fan of Great Lakes actually. Horny Goat's was not very good to me when I tried it yesterday.

I second the Paulaner Oktoberfest. It isn't too hard to find and is a great example of a traditional Marzen.

-Jeff

Either Sam Adams or Spaten would have to be my favorites. So far I haven't seen Spaten's yet this year, either that or it was sold out when I went to Bevmo on Saturday m.

I am a fan of Spatan though Blue Stallion Brewery in Lexington has a Oktoberfest that gives it a run for its money.

I haven't liked the SA Octoberfest this year or especially last year. Don't know if it's them or my tastes have evolved.

I tried the one from Summitt out of MN, and it is better, but still not something I need more than a 6 pack of :drunk:

Sierra Nevada just started putting out an Oktoberfest in their fall mix packs that I like. It's definitely way too hoppy to be really true to the style, but that also makes it tasty.

Sierra Nevada just started putting out an Oktoberfest in their fall mix packs that I like. It's definitely way too hoppy to be really true to the style, but that also makes it tasty.

I saw that mix pack the other day, but already had my quota..
I'll have to try it, how were the others?

hofbrau-oktoberfest-beer-21142886.jpg

My Fav!!

Living in Germany, it isn't special at all now, in fact I actively aim to drink as little German pils, helles / mar zen as possible, but the Augustiner Oktoberfest used to be my favourite.

Living in Germany, it isn't special at all now, in fact I actively aim to drink as little German pils, helles / mar zen as possible, but the Augustiner Oktoberfest used to be my favourite.

So, what do you drink, living in Germany?

Drink homebrew and new German Craft ales. There's quite a few of them about here.
Typical German beer is pretty tasteless to be fair.

I saw that mix pack the other day, but already had my quota..
I'll have to try it, how were the others?

Not all that remarkable but everything in it is good. I assume you've had their PA and tumbler, which are both good. The Vienna lager is nice, but not that different from the Sam Adams lager. The Oktoberfest is the best thing in the pack

Sam Adams and Paulaner, are very good, and, this year is the first time I've tried it.....leinenkugel.....I was pleasantly surprised.

Barktoberfest by Thirsty Dog is by far the best, in my opinion. Last year a friend and I did a blind taste test of seven different brands, and both found Barktoberfest to be the best tasting and most distinct. Not sure if you'll find it very easily outside of the Cleveland market though.

ODell has a really good one and left hand there's is really good as well. But today I tried the Alaskan pumpkin porter and loved it.

I had a Leinenkugels imperial oktoberfest on tap a few days ago. It was very tasty and obviously far more of a malt bomb than traditional. It's part of their Big Eddy series, which are surprisingly very tasty.

I had a Leinenkugels imperial oktoberfest on tap a few days ago. It was very tasty and obviously far more of a malt bomb than traditional. It's part of their Big Eddy series, which are surprisingly very tasty.

I've had this as well, its pretty good but almost too sweet for my taste.
Their regular Ofest is pretty good as well.

Had a couple half litre bottles of HB Oktoberfest this evening. They never cease to amaze me.

Back