best cigarettes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started out with Marlboro Lights and moved on to Marlboro Blend No. 27 after that. I needed cigarettes at the bar one night and they only offered Camel Lights. That was all I smoked until I "quit" five years later. I would still pick them up when going to hang out and drink with some friends. I've been vaping for a little over a year now and haven't had a cigarette since I started.

Trying to get used to e-cigarettes. There just aren't any really good ones with the feel of the real thing. Here Pall Mall 100s are cheap.

Me too. I've tried a few different brands. Most of them don't do it for me. They sure beat smelling like smoke all the time though.

I tried multiple brands of e-cigarettes before I found one I actually liked. If you have not tried V2 Reds, I highly recommend them. I don't care for all of the flavored options. When I smoked, I enjoyed the taste of the cigarette, and that was the flavor I was looking for. They feel the most like smoking a cigarette to me.

I am surprised we don't have a tobacco forum, did I miss it?

What are the best cigarettes that are commonly available? Is there really a difference among them, or is it all fashion? I haven't done much smoking in 10 years or so and back then I just bummed whatever I could get.

Huge differences. I'm not proud to say it but I've been a smoker for 20 years now. I'm in my early 30's.

It's like beer, you need to know what you're after. To me Beer,Cigarettes and Coffee fall into the same sort of grouping. I need them to live, but I enjoy them as much on a connoisseur level as a chemically addicted level.

Right now I'm smoking Bugler. That's a roll your own. I went back to unfiltered earlier in the year. I typically smoke Camel Wides, but when I get up to two packs a day I typically switch brands, or put them down for a couple of months. Yeah, I can do that. Don't know how or why but I can stop no problem. It's staying off them that's the issue.

This is my list, and I will include all variations as opposed to a single, like say a filter.

Nat Sherman Natural 101
Nat Sherman Natural Kings
American Spirit Natural Roll Your Own

There's a subtly to these blends. You need to smoke them for at least a few days if you've been smoking most commercial offerings. A large part of the flavor derived from a Camel or Marlboro is from the additives.

Player's Navy Cut (Unfiltered)
Bali Shag European (Roll your Own)

Aside from that Marlboro Blacks are good. I smoke Camel Wides on a regular basis (they are my go to).

Winston offers a complexity I feel most lack, but it takes a while to get to that point. Most don't like them at all.

If you're going cheap I prefer to stick with Pall Mall. It smokes quick.

An AVG smoke takes me >2 minutes. The Nat Shermans and Roll your owns take about 5. Normal people smoke them in 10.

"need them to live"--nah, you need air, food & water to live, and preferably some kind of exercise. Cigarettes are a slow, protracted form of suicide. And death by lung cancer is not pretty (nor is esophogeal cancer, oral cancer, colon cancer, heart attack, stroke, etc.)

I am glad I gave up smoking. I found that I had better things to spend my $$ on. That is when they raised the tax and made them too expensive for me. They went from $.35 to $.40 a pack.... Started in September of 1968 and quit in October of 1968. The last cigarette I smoked, in college, almost made me pass out.

I was lucky........ Born in 1955, when smoking was taken for granted, I never took up smoking, and in fact can claim honestly to have NEVER smoked a single cigarette. Things have rapidly changed in recent years for the better. People no longer just assume that it's OK to smoke in your home or car, or get angry when you tell them they cannot, or sit next to you in a bar or cafe thoughtlessly as the smoke from their cigarette resting in an ashtray wafts directly into your face. I don't go home from the bar reeking of smoke, and have to wash it out of my clothes.

It's a disgusting habit and a tenacious addiction I have watched people struggle with all my life. A habit with absolutely no redeeming value. Making tobacco smoking a topic here is not appropriate. Alcoholism is a problem, but you can drink without becoming an alcoholic. Tobacco smokers virtually all are addicted at some level. Let's not promote or encourage smoking................ If we are going to have a tobacco discussion, how about one for discussing how to manufacture methamphetamine, LSD, and PCP?? Or how to grow opium poppies and refine them in to heroin?

H.W.

[snip] If we are going to have a tobacco discussion, how about one for discussing how to manufacture methamphetamine, LSD, and PCP?? Or how to grow opium poppies and refine them in to heroin?

H.W.

Just throwing darts at the dartboard here, but... probably because all of that is highly illegal.

I was lucky........ Born in 1955, when smoking was taken for granted, I never took up smoking, and in fact can claim honestly to have NEVER smoked a single cigarette. Things have rapidly changed in recent years for the better. People no longer just assume that it's OK to smoke in your home or car, or get angry when you tell them they cannot, or sit next to you in a bar or cafe thoughtlessly as the smoke from their cigarette resting in an ashtray wafts directly into your face. I don't go home from the bar reeking of smoke, and have to wash it out of my clothes.

It's a disgusting habit and a tenacious addiction I have watched people struggle with all my life. A habit with absolutely no redeeming value. Making tobacco smoking a topic here is not appropriate. Alcoholism is a problem, but you can drink without becoming an alcoholic. Tobacco smokers virtually all are addicted at some level. Let's not promote or encourage smoking................ If we are going to have a tobacco discussion, how about one for discussing how to manufacture methamphetamine, LSD, and PCP?? Or how to grow opium poppies and refine them in to heroin?

H.W.

I agree. I used to frequent bars in my younger days. I absolutely hated the smell, especially of my clothes and hair the next morning. Nothing made me happier than when cigarette smoking was banned in bars, restaurants etc.

Dunhill. I loved them. I spent a lot of time in Europe and smoked these exclusively. (I haven't smoked anything legal in many years).

105223.jpg

Now if I was going to smoke again this is definitely the brand I would seek out.

I haven't smoked in a long time. I used to like chewing much more. I guess once every few years I may hit or smoke a cigarette at a party or something.

Quit the wacky stuff well over 10 years ago.

Always seems to me the folks that still smoke are very inconsiderate. Not saying all. Some of the old timer that still smoke will light up around the dinner table when others are still eating. Must be oblivious.

I smoked mostly Camels because they were cheap, when I was a smoker. But preferred American Spirit, Lucky Strikes (when you could even find them), and Dunhill. Then I discovered RYO and got really into unfiltered Bugler a while before quitting entirely. I still miss the Bugler, but my lungs don't.

I'll still light up on the odd special occasion (I've only bought one pack so far this year), but I haven't smoked habitually in years. Even pipes and cigars are pretty rare for me anymore. Or dip. Haven't bought any of that in almost a year.

I used to dip during baseball games. Other then that, never saw a point

What was the point during the game?

Did it help your batting average?

I dip because it makes me feel all funny. Or, it did. Now I just have to.

They got me again. Didn't they?

I only smoke at work. Pall Mall Orange. I will not smoke around my wife, who quit after 15 years and didn't look back, or my kids. I've tried vaping and switching to a pipe, but I still prefer a cig.

The point during the game was that you could actually ingest some form of nicotine/tobacco without getting kicked off the field. No smoking aloud near the field. And no, didn't really help the batting average. It definitely gives you a good buzz though, if you're not dipping on a daily basis

I had to chuckle the other day when I was watching the pregame show and they got a dugout shot. Jonathan Lucroy had what appeared to be a gallon sized Ziploc bag of dip. Frankie Rodriguez makes me think there must be another gallon bag in the bullpen.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1434573365.003403.jpg

Been nicotine free for a little over 2 years now, but I always fell back on good old Marlboro Reds. I didn't mind Lucky Strike or American Spirit (the blue pack, whatever it was called) either.

Trying to get used to e-cigarettes. There just aren't any really good ones with the feel of the real thing. Here Pall Mall 100s are cheap.
The readily available e-cigs are garbage. Pick up a decent vaporizer, and just fill it with liquid. You'll save a fortune too. Between replacement coils, nicotine liquid and flavoring I probably only spend around $25 a month. Lungs feel a hell of a lot better since I switched from tobacco.

The readily available e-cigs are garbage. Pick up a decent vaporizer, and just fill it with liquid. You'll save a fortune too. Between replacement coils, nicotine liquid and flavoring I probably only spend around $25 a month. Lungs feel a hell of a lot better since I switched from tobacco.

How about an IV drip....... nicotine in one arm, alcohol in the other ;-) A happy vegetable with a perpetual smile ...............

I smoked Marlboro reds & the occasional pack of Kools for 23 years, smoked my last cig 12/24/2004. I also smoked cigars & a pipe, but nothing satisfied my nicotine craving like a Marlboro. As others have said, there is no "good/best" cigarette. That's not a comment on anybody's life choices, it's just a fact.
Regards, GF.

So for those who roll their own, where do you get your supplies from? All the tobaccanists seem to be gone now.

So for those who roll their own, where do you get your supplies from? All the tobaccanists seem to be gone now.

We have a gas station i town, this is a small town, that has the roll your own supplies. Even the small device for making your own filter cigarettes.

Is the pocket Risla roller still considered drug paraphernalia?

Check the Indian reservations, they usually have a smoke shop of some sort, though I wouldn't call any of the ones I've seen "tobacconists."
Regards, GF.

There used to be a smoke shop in the old Red Head gas station up on Detroit Rd till Obama raised the taxes. They had those native American cigs. Definitely harsher than normal. Funny how the lack of all those chemicals changes the taste.

Around here we have a few humidors, but mainly it's liquor stores and head shops.

The same places that carry bongs carry my American Spirit Natural. I get to run into people I barely know buying "supplies" from time to time. It's always awkward.

I don't judge. I don't ask questions. A man's business is his own and I'm sure they are going to use that inflatable sheep as a prop in a play.

Around here we have a few humidors, but mainly it's liquor stores and head shops.

The same places that carry bongs carry my American Spirit Natural. I get to run into people I barely know buying "supplies" from time to time. It's always awkward.

I don't judge. I don't ask questions. A man's business is his own and I'm sure they are going to use that inflatable sheep as a prop in a play.
Man, your head shops are a lot different than mine!

Ha, all y'alls headshops are different than mine here in CO!

Not really...

Now dispensaeries sure, we don't have those, but head shop is a head shop is a head shop.

Well I take that back. Last time I was in Denver one was advertising weapons, which I have yet to see here.

Ninja stars and weed sound like trouble.

Not really...

Now dispensaeries sure, we don't have those, but head shop is a head shop is a head shop.

Well I take that back. Last time I was in Denver one was advertising weapons, which I have yet to see here.

I think the Gingers headshop is typically called massage parlor or an alley.

What are the best cigarettes that are commonly available? Is there really a difference among them,

Nope, no difference, they all can give you heart disease and several types of cancer if you smoke often. The Best Cigarette is last one you'll ever touch when you quit.

Not really...

I think the Gingers headshop is typically called massage parlor or an alley.

You both missed the point. Austin said inflatable sheep. Never seen those sold in a head shop around me. I like the massage parlor though :)

Ha. That one reminds me of a cartoon I saw in Easyriders once. Two bikers are doing a couple sheep. One looks kinda hacked, & the other one says to him, " what're you bitchin' about? You got the pretty one!"?:drunk:

Back