Best Brewing Book

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Best Brewing Book

• Home Brewing Guide - Dave Miller

• The Brewmasters Bible - Stephen Snyder

• How to Brew - John Palmer

• Brewing Better Beer - Gordon Strong

• Te Joy of Homebrewing - Charlie Papazian

• Other - List in your post

Results are only viewable after voting.

Airplanedoc

Reaction score
I scored a Amazon gift card at work, so I though I might pick up a book to better my brewing. I am in the process of switching from extract to all grain. So which book should I get. FYI I already have the "joy of homebrewing" But I included it in case others might be interested in the future. I grabbed the list from first page results highest rated on amazon, so it may not be all encompassing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Brewing Classic Styles. It is more than a recipe book. Yes, it has a recipe or two for each style. But it really shines where it explains how to brew each style well, even if you don't use the recipe given.

New Brewing Lager Beer, by Greg Noonan.

You may just find that "other" wins this poll. You failed to list several favorites, including the above, Designing Great Beers, Radical Brewing, Brewing Classic Styles

Brew Like A Monk is my favorite. Gives history, beer style info, and even some recipes for Belgian beers. You get all kinds of good insight on making good Belgian beers. I've read it cover to cover and continue to go back to it when brewing belgian beers(which I seem to a lot).

New Brewing Lager Beer, by Greg Noonan.

You may just find that "other" wins this poll. You failed to list several favorites, including the above, Designing Great Beers, Radical Brewing, Brewing Classic Styles
New Brewing Lager Beer is great.

Brew Like A Monk is my favorite. Gives history, beer style info, and even some recipes for Belgian beers. You get all kinds of good insight on making good Belgian beers. I've read it cover to cover and continue to go back to it when brewing belgian beers(which I seem to a lot).
I'm really not crazy about Belgians, but I really enjoyed this book.

One of my favorites, too, but a bit narrow for an early addition to the library. Certain beer writers are really writers. Mosher and Hieronymous come to mind.

yeastcover.jpg

I like the book yeast a lot, but the OP is looking for a beginner book. I think that is a little advanced. Not sure how long he has been brewing. I think he is looking for an all grain type book.

herbiehowells said:
brewing classic styles. It is more than a recipe book. Yes, it has a recipe or two for each style. But it really shines where it explains how to brew each style well, even if you don't use the recipe given.

+1

Latest posts

Back